Author Topic: New Guy looking at a '67, needing help reaching general value  (Read 7860 times)

22Devil22

• View Profile
New Guy looking at a '67, needing help reaching general value
« on: January 30, 2006, 10:20:50 PM »
Hi,

I am hoping to find some help pricing a '67 Camaro, coupe, hardtop, I saw the other day.  The seller has it listed at 18k, but even a quick look at it let me know it was overpriced.

The exterior of the car was alright, fairly new paint job with only a few minor dings.  The interior was pretty new, and re-done in the original standard bucket seats & colors.  The problem here were the windows did not want to roll-up or down.

My concern is the engine & rust.  The engine definately had some problems just off a visual inspection,--I saw some oil leaks around the gaskets, and a  good amount of rust on it.  The car didn't have a battery, so I didn't get to hear it run.

I believe the car was originally a v-6, and has since had a v-8 350 installed.

The body, trunk, and underbody had some rust--pin holes in the trunk, wheel wells had some good sized rusted out part, etc..  The seller tells me it has a clean title, and no history of accidents, but I haven't actually seen the title yet.

I like the car, and wouldn't mind getting one that I could do some work-on, but I am not certain what to offer the seller.  I do have the VIN if that helps: 123377N216878.  The ad also lists a stock# (51109) but I'm not sure what that is telling me.

p.s. love this site.  I've been crawling over it for weeks now collecting information for my search.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: New Guy looking at a '67, needing help reaching general value
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 02:06:21 AM »
Please don't buy that car without starting the motor...  :o :o :o
Sounds to me like the owner is trying to price it as a SS350 clone (at least).
Don't know how much wheeling and dealing the fellow will tolerate, but I would offer around $15,000 --unless that motor sounds sweet when it starts and could be cleaned up easy.  He may not accept it... but that's not bad money for a 67 that may have been a 6 banger originally and needs some work.
I know of at least three 67s better than that here in NC that are for sale in around the $17,000+ range.
Good luck! ;D ;D ;D
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

arocars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 05:17:13 AM »
Please dont take this the wrong way, but you need to get someone who knows about cars to personally go with you and check this vehicle out.  Pin-hole rust means rust-through.  Rust-through generally means 'requires complete replacement'.  It also usually means there is more rust but you just cant see it.  Camaro's are very prone to rust.  I started making a list of most likely places you'll find rust, but the list was getting too long to include in this post.  Suffice to say, if you can see pin hole rust on the body, trunk and underbody, and the vehicle was recently painted, there is likely to be a ton of bondo hiding more serious problems. 

The aftermarket makes loads of parts for these cars now, but if you dont know how to repair it yourself (weld for example) you'll be paying someone else to do the work for you and it gets expensive fast. 

Things like windows not going up and down properly are items that are easily fixed.  As are leaking gaskets and rusty engine pieces. But items like replacing floors, trunks, and window channels are not easily fixed by the amateur.  And after all that, you'll likely need to repaint the car.  That's not cheap or easy either.

My advise to you is two-fold.  One, go to your local garage and hire someone to scope out this vehicle for you.  Offer to pay him for his time and expertise.  (It beats buying an $18k lemon).  Two, spend more time researching first gen Camaro's.  Learn more about them.  Go to CarTraderonline and see what else is available.  Check out other sites like camaros.net and camaross.com, both sites have a vehicle for sale section and knowledgeable people.  Take your time, dont rush into this.  They made a half a million first gen Camaros.  It'll be ok if this one gets away. 

Bottom line, if this was an original v6 car, it was probably nothing special.  IMO it would have to be pretty freakin' sweet to be worth $18k.

If you want, send me an email, wah69ss@yahoo.com, and I'll send you a list of specific things to look for and look at. 

Rich

• CRG Coordinator
  • 68 L30/M20 RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 01:24:39 PM »
arocars' advice is sound.  No worry if it gets away.  This is a L6 car without original motor, and in need a lot of work.  From the description, unless you are equipped to do all work yourself and don't value your time, I'd guess you're at least $30K away from a class 2 car (looks real good, but not suitable for top show), and that's after the $18k up front.
68 L30/M20 RS

22Devil22

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 12:38:07 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the assistance.  The guy has since dropped the price a bit (17k) but I think is still way-off.  I tried talking to him, but it's at a dealer here in SOCal, so I guess if they wait long enough someone will show-up and give them the price they want.

If anyone hears of a good (prefer 1967's) camaro for sale out in CA, please drop me a line.

Thanks again--22

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 04:10:57 AM »
Check out eBay, auto trader.com or other car sites before you make a mistake you might regret.
One thing is the car came with a six, and now has an eight.  Always remember once you buy it, it's yours.

Fireman John
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired