Author Topic: 68 bumper jack  (Read 75328 times)

Pex68

• View Profile
Re: 68 bumper jack
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2008, 06:22:11 PM »
Chris -
FYI, I inspected a '68 04D Los Angeles built "survivor" with it's original jacking instructions (part #3947628) dated 2-9-68.  Jack was dated 3D.  More details at this CRG thread... 
Paul

That number 3947628 is for an SS Coupe, car is noted to be a RS-was the same sticker used?  Guessing so because there's no RS stickers listed-Interesting, good info!!!  Since it's a LA car, it should have the square jack no?  Did you get any pic's of it???

The 3909124 must have been used for all early 67-68 Coupe cars because the date's on the 68 stickers are Feb/March and I don't see how a car built in say, December of 67, can have a sticker dated Feb/March of 68!  The sticker on the car you inspected makes sense, car built April 68, sticker dated Feb 68.
I realized this confusion when I went to purchase a new sticker from Jim Osborn at a show.  Asked for a 68 SS Coupe sticker, he gave me the 3947628-I saw the date and said that’s not right.  Explained to him the build date and later sticker and he pulled all the 68 stickers, all with 68 dates and he was confused himself.  I bought both the 67 & 68 SS stickers and when I got home compared to my original and I had the 67 sticker.

Thanks Paul.
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
That number 3947628 is for an SS Coupe, car is noted to be a RS-was the same sticker used?  Guessing so because there's no RS stickers listed-Interesting, good info!!!

Yes, the same sticker was used.  I'll send you a couple of photos I took of it.

Since it's a LA car, it should have the square jack no?  Did you get any pic's of it???

I don't recall what the jack looked like.  All I wrote down was the rivet was stamped "3D".  It wasn't anything I thought about checking until this thread was started.  The square jack/LA build thing is something I'm trying to figure out myself based on the Ebay listing Q&A section in reply #35 of this thread.  Remember, Ed has an LA built Camaro and his jack (which he believes is original) is trapezoidal.

My 02E  Z28 out of LA has a square jack in it,who knows if is born with I cannot tell you that. same as another member that has some different holes in the base

fireZ who has a LA built '68 Z/28 with a build date close to mine has the square jack.  Was the square jack a Z/28 thing??     ???

Paul

P.S. - Chris, feel free to post the photos of the jacking instructions I sent you as I still haven't had time to figure out how to resize my photos!     :-[

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2008, 12:26:17 AM »
Thanks Paul, got the pic's of the jacking instructions.
Here's yours (from the car you inspected, '68 04D Los Angeles built "survivor" with it's original jacking instructions (part #3947628) dated 2-9-68

Here's my original, 68 12D LOS SS Coupe

Seeing this photo again reminded me of something I  wanted to ask but always forgot!
Does anybody know that the screwdriver looked like that's that's supposed to go under the jack base shown on my instructions???
Chris P

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2008, 03:56:52 AM »
Check out this Ebay listing of a supposed one owner '68.  There are two photos of the jack, which appears square, and it's a Norwood car...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160234159231&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Paul

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2008, 09:33:33 PM »
I don't believe there were multiple styles of jacks. Every 68 jack I've seen has been the triangular style (not the square) like stovebolt's, Ed's, and jack #2. Not to say there couldn't be different versions, but I've never seen them.

There were multiple suppliers of the base, so there's many versions of that. But I'm not convinced the jack had multiple suppliers and, if there were, they would all be the same style (i.e. triangular) to fit the base.

O.K., I finally found found an Ebay listing of a '68 Camaro "square" jack.  This is how my jack and base look...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270232030626&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:MOTORS:1123

:)

Paul

Marty

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2008, 02:27:53 AM »
My car didn't have the original jack but I have a square one from a friend. I also have one I found in a 68 car in the junkyard. It's a trapazoid but a smaller size that I haven't found a base for. I also have a larger size from a junkyard that was in their jack pile. Nearby was a 69 Nova and the loadrest was nearby too. All measure about the same, around 32 1/4".

I would be interested in a definitive answer too. My car is a LOS built 01C.

Martin
Martin Foltz
CRG Member
68 Van Nuys Camaro

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2008, 03:19:52 AM »
Martin, do I see a "First Generation Camaro Bumper Jack" report in your future?

;D

Ed

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2008, 01:36:02 PM »
I emailed the guy on eBay and asked length, any date codes, what model the Camaro it was out was & if he knew if it was a LOS or NOR car, here's his reply:

"Hello, the shaft is 32 1/2 inches long end to end. I don’t see a date code on the rivot, or any other markings other than what is on the load rest bracket. I removed this from a 1968 Camaro about 7 years ago before I sold the car. The bumper jacks were the same for all models of Camaros. The car was a 327 4 speed, don’t remember vin info.  Thanks and have a good one, Mike."

I second getting a definitive answer and would love to see a "First Generation Camaro Bumper Jack" report too...HINT HINT ;D
Chris P

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2008, 04:19:31 PM »
"Hello, the shaft is 32 1/2 inches long end to end. I don’t see a date code on the rivot, or any other markings other than what is on the load rest bracket. I removed this from a 1968 Camaro about 7 years ago before I sold the car. The bumper jacks were the same for all models of Camaros. The car was a 327 4 speed, don’t remember vin info.  Thanks and have a good one, Mike."

Interesting, like I stated above there is no date code on the rivet of my jack either.  The mast is stamped 8 1 (or 1 8 if you read it with the jack upside down).  Maybe the "square" jack supplier didn't date stamp the rivets.  Does anyone have an original '68 Camaro "square" jack with the rivet date stamped?  Is the mast stamped instead?  or also?     ???

Paul

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2008, 04:33:45 PM »
My car didn't have the original jack but I have a square one from a friend. I also have one I found in a 68 car in the junkyard. It's a trapazoid but a smaller size that I haven't found a base for. I also have a larger size from a junkyard that was in their jack pile. Nearby was a 69 Nova and the loadrest was nearby too. All measure about the same, around 32 1/4".

Martin -

Your story reminded me that I once removed a jack base (jack was gone) from a '68 Camaro that also was in a salvage yard.  I went through my junk and found it.  Guess what, it's square!!  It's looks exactly like my original except for the shape of one hole.

Paul 

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2008, 03:40:49 AM »
Can I add a tag- on question? How is the tire iron identified? I was told there is an "A" in the socket end.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
Take a look at the trunk photos of this one owner Los Angeles built '68 Z/28 in this Ebay listing.  What do you see in the trunk?  Yes, it's a "square" jack!!      ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190219280419&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

Paul

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2008, 06:04:39 PM »
Neat!  Now if we could just get some definitive answers on if these were really Camaro jacks and how/where they were used!!!  I'm sure the general thought is Camaro jacks were not square but if indeed we again discovered something new about these cars that would be AWESOME!

Oh yeah-what's with that tiny lug wrench ???
Chris P

Marty

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2008, 07:56:29 PM »
I could start an article on bumper jacks but my car had an empty trunk when I bought it. Here's what I do have:

1 square jack that I got from Jon Mello. No date.
1 trapazoid jack from a car in Memory Lanes, built 01B in LA. Smaller jack mast and I couldn't find the base and still don't have one. No date.
1 trapazoid jack from a yard that put them in a pile. I found a 69Nova nearby and the load rest bracket for it in the bed of an El Camino right next to it. The rivet is dated 9B, base is stamped U.

Somewhere I had a base only from a 67 Camaro. I have photos somewhere and I hope I put that in the file name.

I have 2 different styles of the 68 load rest; one stamped "CAMARO 1968" and one stamped "CAMARO" and under that "1968  UN ". Both are on the face that contacts the bumper.

I have a few different style lug wrenches and would like to know what is correct.

On another related subject, I'm also interested in the correct spare tire hold down and nut. These are all part of the trunk accessories.

Martin
Martin Foltz
CRG Member
68 Van Nuys Camaro

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2008, 09:24:59 PM »
Martin, I've included links to some close-up pictures of my wrench, hold down and nut.

I don't believe my wrench to be original since the P/N is 326741x. That number doesn't seem to fit in the numbering scheme of the late 60's.

There are two hooks in the picture. Both of them were in the trunk when I got the car, but the short (rusty) one was the one being used to hold the spare down. I know there are two hooks for the 67-69 Camaro. One for Coupes and one for Convertibles. Not sure of the diffences...

Ed

Wrench and hooks

Hooks

Nut

Label on wrench

More of label

Part Number on label (326741x???)

anything