Author Topic: New CRG Research Report - Headrests  (Read 12681 times)

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
New CRG Research Report - Headrests
« on: March 20, 2008, 06:38:11 AM »
Please congratulate Ed Bertrand on the great job he has done on his latest report on headrests. 
Thanks Ed!

http://www.camaros.org/headrest.shtml
Kurt S
CRG

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
Re: New CRG Research Report - Headrests
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »
Thanks Ed. I will get my info off my headrest seats to you. I have the single escutheon type on my 67. I can get you the nubers of the headrest stem.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 04:58:23 AM »
Thanks Mike. I appreciate it.

I would also like to thank all the guys that sent me some GREAT pictures for the report. Travis, Tim Pace, Tim Labold, Jerry, Danny, Kevin, Mike, Tony, Jim, Charlie, etc... you know who you are! Without these, most of the pictures would have been of black interiors and the details wouldn't have shown up very well. And of course my fellow CRG members who gave me some great information and advice! And finally, all the guys that sent me the date codes on their headrests. I actually learned a lot while writing this report!

Now... on to complete the finishing touches of the steering wheel report!

Ed

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 03:05:40 PM »
Thanks for all the time you guys spend on documenting these cars!
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 11:31:28 PM »
it great all the work you guys do here because without it every year that goes by all this information would be lost. that really amazing. so for the 1969 year would the headrest delete cars still have the release knob under the chrome escutcheon or did they remove it.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 01:12:26 AM »
Mike, I wish I could give you an answer, but since these are SO rare, I can't say for sure. I would imagine everything was left in place when the cover was installed, meaning the cover would have a cut-out for the knob, but this is just a guess since I've never actually seen one!!

Ed

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 10:21:42 PM »
Outstanding job Ed!     :)

WOW!  Only 2234 Camaros got headrests in '68.     8)

In an attempt to answer some of the questions posted in your report, I checked the headrests in my 02C Los Angeles built '68 Z/28.  The deluxe interior (code 730) is all original (including the carpet).     :)

Here's the info from my car...

1)  The headrest bars are as you state in your report = chrome plated, straight, 3 holes and a notch, 10" long, etc.  There are no stampings or date codes to be found on the headrest bars.

2)  My car has the chromed plastic headrest escutcheons.

3)  In your report you have a photo titled "1968 Headrest Bar and Finishing Panel".  The finishing panel in your photo has a grained texture.  Both finishing panels in my car are completely smooth!  Ed, have you seen this difference in the finshing panels before?     ???

I hope this info helps with your research and thanks again for all your hard work!

Paul

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 11:13:07 PM »
Paul, I haven't seen a ton of these, but the ones I have seen were all grained. What's the build date of your car?

Ed

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 11:20:18 PM »
Paul, I haven't seen a ton of these, but the ones I have seen were all grained. What's the build date of your car?

In an attempt to answer some of the questions posted in your report, I checked the headrests in my 02C Los Angeles built '68 Z/28.

:)

Paul

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 06:51:27 PM »
Ed (or anyone else), what are your thoughts?     ???

Paul

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 06:59:42 PM »
Paul, can you take a picture or two? Like I said, I've not seen any that were smooth. The one's in my car are textured, as were all the other headrests I have pictures of. This includes 67, 68 and 69.

Ed

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »
Paul, can you take a picture or two?

Sure Ed, give me a couple of minutes.     ;)

Paul

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 09:53:25 PM »
Ed -

I just sent you four photos of the headrest finishing panels in my Z/28.  Please let me know what you think.  I tried to shoot the photos at the same angle as the one in your headrest report so you could compare them easier.  Maybe, smooth vs. grained was color dependent.    ???

At any rate, please feel free to use these photos in your headrest report if you decide to expand it based on this issue.     :)

Paul

P.S.  Pardon the dust, the car has been parked for over 25 years!     :-[ 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 10:14:09 PM by 1968RSZ28 »

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 11:52:58 PM »
Paul, got your pictures. Thanks.

Your panels are painted parchment over black plastic. Not the norm. All the others are actually colored plastic (red, yellow, black, etc...) and not painted. The paint may explain why yours have no texture. I would venture a guess and say if you removed the paint, the black plastic underneith would be textured.

I don't have any other white or parchment headrests in the database, so I can't say for sure it's incorrect. We would have to have more people with this color submit their data. Kind of a long shot since they didn't make a lot of these!!

But... If you happen to have a 68 with white or parchment interior, and have headrest seats, could you see what your finishing panels look like? Are they white plastic, or are they black plastic that's been painted white?

Ed

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 12:41:42 AM »
Paul, got your pictures. Thanks.

Your welcome!     :)

Your panels are painted parchment over black plastic. Not the norm. All the others are actually colored plastic (red, yellow, black, etc...) and not painted. The paint may explain why yours have no texture.

Ed, your right, mine our painted.  I assumed the others in your report were painted too.     :P

The paint may explain why yours have no texture. I would venture a guess and say if you removed the paint, the black plastic underneith would be textured.

Ed, even if you painted a textured panel, wouldn't it still appear textured?     ???

The areas on my finishing panels where the paint has flaked off and/or been scratched off are completely smooth.  The back sides are also completely smooth and painted.

I don't have any other white or parchment headrests in the database, so I can't say for sure it's incorrect.

WOW!  My Z/28 could have a 1 of 1 option;  "Headrest with the smooth, painted, aerodynamic finishing panels".     8)     ;D

Paul

anything