Author Topic: Powerglide to TH350 swap questions  (Read 7669 times)

TStone

• 1968 Droptop #'s Matching - 327
    • View Profile
Powerglide to TH350 swap questions
« on: March 10, 2008, 08:15:43 PM »
I am getting ready for my sway and have been gathering parts and have a few questions.

1) from what ive read i can reuse the PG yoke but and figuring as long as im in there may as go new - there appear to be multiple lengths available
-can someone tell me what length i need before having to pull the old one out?

2) from what ive read i should be able to reuse my flywheel without a prorblem
- can someone tell me if theyve experienced any problems?

3) i know ill need a new dipsrick as the old one is broken
- can someone tell me what one theyve use - ie: where it bolts to etc...

any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated, also if anyone knows of a writeup detailing the swap

thanx
T
Classics only cost alot if you keep track of what you spend. :)

5th Annual Michigan FBody Association Meet & Greet 2009
-= Meet & Greet Official Forum =-
- [url="http://www.mifbody.com/vbullet

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: Powerglide to TH350 swap questions
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 02:14:28 AM »
If I recall correctly the glide driveshaft is a different length than the th350 shaft, so you may need a new or cut driveshaft. I think the 2004r is a direct swap for the glide, uses the same driveshaft, offers a locking converter, and OD.

69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 04:02:18 AM »
  The PG yoke is a coarser spline--the TH350 uses a yoke like an M-20 or M-21 4-speed. The driveshaft will depend upon whether you have a short-tailshaft 350 or a long-tailshaft--you didn't say.
  The 350 typically takes the 168-tooth flywheel, with the standard staggered-bolt pattern starter. Your flexplate may or not work--it could have been changed or the converter bolt pattern may be different. If it matches the 350 converter bolt pattern, it--and your old starter--will work.
   You can get a dipstick at a junkyard or buy a new chrome one--the're pretty much all the same. The 350 dipstick attaches with one bolt--the 1st to the right on the back of the engine on the bellhousing. Leave the dipstick out when you install the transmission--it won't clear the firewall. It's tight under there. You can thread it down after you get the crossmember put in.
  Good luck and I hope this helps!

HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 04:40:48 AM »
I just recieved my April 2008 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines.  There is a nice article describing changing a glide out for a 200-r4 in a first gen Camaro, starting on page 84.  You might want to change directions.

Kris
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

TStone

• 1968 Droptop #'s Matching - 327
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:54:38 AM »
thanks for th replies

driveshafts are the same, same can also be said for the 200r but it requires the use of a 400 cross-member

yokes are supposed to be the same on any pg/th350 for 68 and up - just different lengths based on applicaton

flexplate is the original - in 68' does anyone know what the std tooth was for a 327/210 PG setup?

saw that article and it is interesting - but already have 95% of what i need to complete this task - and dont really care about OD
Classics only cost alot if you keep track of what you spend. :)

5th Annual Michigan FBody Association Meet & Greet 2009
-= Meet & Greet Official Forum =-
- [url="http://www.mifbody.com/vbullet