Author Topic: Aftermarket wheels for my '68 RS/SS w 4 piston calipers?  (Read 15780 times)

snowballfisher

• View Profile
Aftermarket wheels for my '68 RS/SS w 4 piston calipers?
« on: January 26, 2006, 11:25:31 PM »
I'm having a heck of a time finding aftermarket aluminum wheels that have enough clearance on the backside to clear the hefty 4 piston calipers.  The calipers stick out about 1/2" beyond the hub.  The car has Cragar SS style wheels on it right now, but they're bent so I'm looking to replace them and don't want factory rally's.  I don't want to use spacers or anything cheesy.  Any ideas, or examples of what anyone has made work well on these cars?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Aftermarket wheels for my '68 RS/SS w 4 piston calipers?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 03:32:43 AM »
Just call the manufacturer of the wheels you're interested in and ask them if they'll clear '67 Camaro calipers (with prepaid return shipping if they don't).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

snowballfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 01:18:31 AM »
Thanks John.  I'll do that if we go with new wheels.  With the budget this project is on, I was hoping to hit the swap meet this weekend with some insight as to what I need to look for.  It's no rush, so I'll just take my time and gather whatever info. I can.  Thanks.

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 04:26:23 PM »
I'm having a heck of a time finding aftermarket aluminum wheels that have enough clearance on the backside to clear the hefty 4 piston calipers. The calipers stick out about 1/2" beyond the hub. The car has Cragar SS style wheels on it right now, but they're bent so I'm looking to replace them and don't want factory rally's. I don't want to use spacers or anything cheesy. Any ideas, or examples of what anyone has made work well on these cars?

I tried quite a few versions and backspacings of American Racing wheels on my '68 Z and never found any that didn't hit the caliper right near the hub area of the wheel. These were mostly the Torque Thrust versions that I was trying to fit (the bent spoke variant) that according to many is the model that goes on Corvettes of that era which also used the 4 piston caliper style - yet none would clear!!
  The only way it appeared I was going to get a set was to order some on someone's say so, and I did come close to getting some from a dealer I met at Route 66 raceway this past Fall in Chicago, on his supposed experience that they would work...but I never got up enough courage to buy before I tried, so to speak.
   I too would be curious (not to highjack your thread here) to learn from others with prior experience of what does and does not work with this braking system, to give me a better handle on where to go with this...
   I would love to hear from anyone who has bought these in a 16" x 7" (or 8") size with a 4 3/4" backspacing as to whether the TTII's will fit well on a '67 0r '68 Zed...I've seen many pictures of these on similar SS models of these cars - there must be some way to get some to work on a Z model
   Thanks  --  Randy

westonz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 03:12:00 AM »
Keystone Klassic's work great and are period correct. that is what I have on my daughter's 68.
67 RS L30/M20 numbers, 68 BB 396 12 bolt posi
68 Z28 project, 68 numbers 327/210 4 speed
69 LM1 turbo 350 12 bolt numbers,70 L65 350
68 Chevelle L30 3 on the tree, 68 El Camino BB

VXC961

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 02:49:15 AM »

When I bought my Camaro, it had ET Fueler mags on it, and the 14X7's cleared my front calipers.  You should be able to find them at the swap meet (mine were the universal kind, with the little inserts in the oval to make it fit chevy), or you can get them new from team 3 wheels.

OCB

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 10:59:08 PM »
http://v8tv.truckworld.com/tenarticle.asp?aid=2893&sid=96 saw this tool on V8TV it's called wheelrite. It's for measuring your car to see what rim/tire combo will work and clear all your goodies.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 03:43:36 AM »
Weld Draglites and Pro Stars will clear for sure, as will the old American 200S Series, if that's your bag. Right on, on the Keystones, Weston--I have them for my '68 for the street! Man, I'lll bet it's been 25 years since I've seen any ET Mags. They were hot in their day and I had a set of ET slot mags on my '64 Impala in the mid-70s. I've had the Keystones since 1975 and they've been on my '68 since 1983. Just can't let them go...
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior