Author Topic: Exhaust system for 67 ????  (Read 12275 times)

67ragmaro

• View Profile
Exhaust system for 67 ????
« on: March 07, 2006, 02:09:05 AM »
I have a 67 conv. with a 396 / 4 spd and hooker str. back headers which now needs the rest of the exhaust. I have been looking at the kits from summit, magnaflow, flowmaster and even got a few prices from local shops for a custom exhaust. So, what things do I need to look for? Does a 67 need to have the transverse muffler or will 2 smaller mufflers really fit under the car? Other issues? Thanks, Bruce

67camarorsss

• View Profile
Re: Exhaust system for 67 ????
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 11:34:16 PM »
I have a 67 conv. with a 396 / 4 spd and hooker str. back headers which now needs the rest of the exhaust. I have been looking at the kits from summit, magnaflow, flowmaster and even got a few prices from local shops for a custom exhaust. So, what things do I need to look for? Does a 67 need to have the transverse muffler or will 2 smaller mufflers really fit under the car? Other issues? Thanks, Bruce
I have 2 Flowmaster mufflers under the rear seat area on my 67. They clear everything (including the ground) without a problem. You could go with a larger muffler in the transverse location (behind the rear axle) if you're looking at preserving originality, but seeing that you're using Hooker headers I'd go with 2 under the rear seats.
- 1967 RS/SS 396/TH400 (loaded clone restification)
- 1998 Z28 LS1/M6 (daily driver)
- 2002 Z28 LS1/4L60E (12 sec toy/bookend to the 67)

red69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 03:27:18 PM »
My son put a Flowmaster system on his 67 coupe. It is 2 1/2 inch and dual mufflers under the rear seat area. I was skeptical about fit and clearance problems. It was reasonable he bought it from Summit, it installed easily and fits great, we are totally satisfied with the system. Sounds great to. The convertable has extra frame members, you may want to talk to Flowmaster directly and ask about your application.
                                 Hope this helps.         Pat

strat01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 02:29:29 PM »
i put duel exhaust on my 67 conv., and it fits w/ two mufflers in the rear seat area. the driveshaft tunnel will accept the two pipes if time and effort is used w/ no problems. i ordered the original style hangers, and the factory hanger locations are perfect for the new pipes. my camaro has the 327, so a slightly smaller dia. pipe was used, but from what i saw as the job was done, there is room for the pipes. and the stiffener can be bolted on place,(that was the tricky part about fitting the pipes, so they would not rattle on the stiffener). there are several camaros in my area and they all have duels run like this

Regards,    Strat

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 10:51:05 AM »
I just installed Flowtech headers on my 67 350 and hooked them directly to the exhaust system in place on my car. 2 1/2 " pipes and dual mufflers under the rear seats. Kept the sound quiet with a little rumble at the lights!!!!!!!!!!!

dab67

anything