Author Topic: Speed of changing pages, going to threads etc...  (Read 20533 times)

bertfam

• View Profile
Speed of changing pages, going to threads etc...
« on: October 20, 2005, 12:15:50 AM »
Is it me, or is anyone else having (for want of a better word) "slowdowns" when changing pages or going to and from different threads? Sometimes I click and it goes right in, and other times it takes up to a minute before the page changes. I'm running fiber optics (5mb) so I KNOW it's not my connection speed! And it doesn't happen on other forums. Just this one.

?????

Ed

DougD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Speed of changing pages, going to threads etc...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 12:35:22 AM »
Is it me, or is anyone else having (for want of a better word) "slowdowns" when changing pages or going to and from different threads? Sometimes I click and it goes right in, and other times it takes up to a minute before the page changes. I'm running fiber optics (5mb) so I KNOW it's not my connection speed! And it doesn't happen on other forums. Just this one.

?????

Ed

Look at the bottom of the page when you've seen a slowdown, it displays the render time.  If you see problems, let me know that info as well as info on the PC/OS and browser (with version) in use so I can track it.

One thing that does likely contribute is the location of the forum database, that is something that will soon change to improve performance a bit.

DougD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 12:38:44 AM »
OK, I don't have the code active for the render info yet - I will ;)

DougD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 12:41:05 AM »
Done.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 02:03:02 AM »
Doug,

Thanks. Where exactly do I find the Render info?? Bottom left? Bottom right??? And what does it look like?

My OS is Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 (with all the latest updates), and my browser is IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 (at least that's what it has under the "Help" button, "About Internet Explorer".

Ed

clwilcox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 02:04:36 AM »
Bert, the render is at the VERY bottom of every page, scroll down and you should see something like this:

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 13 queries.

The render time will let Doug know if the page is loading slow on his servers.  If it's taking a long time to load and the render time is fast, then it's most likely internet or network related.

heh, I clicked modify to edit this message and it took a long time to load that time:

Page created in 8.153 seconds with 19 queries.

and again:

Page created in 31.213 seconds with 21 queries.

I've been experiencing the slowdowns at times as well.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 02:14:58 AM by clwilcox »
Christropher
1967 RS/SS 350......in pieces still.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 02:59:56 AM »
Okay, got it. Thanks Chris. And, as a matter of fact, to get to this page, it says "Page created in 9.568 seconds with 18 queries". This one was a bit slow, but there have been other times a LOT slower. In the same range as your 31.213 seconds. Glad it's not just me!

Ed

anything