Author Topic: New Member..Looking for an old friend  (Read 8328 times)

nascarfan88

• View Profile
New Member..Looking for an old friend
« on: February 21, 2008, 08:50:09 AM »
Hello all thanks for letting me join.

When i was in jr. high school back in the late 70's early 80's one of my best friends father at that time bought a 1968 z28. all black was a tubbed out drag car in 1979 or 1980 when he bought the car (body only.no motor or trans.) it had been told to me that this was converted to a drag car shortly after purchase in '68. anyway getting on with the subject. i have lost touch with my friend and was wondering if anyone has seen this car.

1968 z28 modified for drag racing and if you saw it you would know it. it was Black with the words airbrushed on the sides in 1&1/2 or 2ft size that says

"SOUL SURVIVOR"  at the time this car was housed in a wooden garage in Norwood,Ohio. If anyone knows the whereabouts of this car from my teenage years i would like to know what has happened to it and if she's still burning up the local drag strips somewhere.

Thanks for your time.

Rick

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: New Member..Looking for an old friend
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 02:14:20 PM »
Here's a 69 by that name.
Kurt S
CRG

JohnKY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:07:15 PM »
I know the car you're talking about. It's been to Thorn Hill dragstrip in Ky. within the past couple of years. Don't know who owns it now, or if the paint scheme survives.

blownz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:44:14 PM »
There is a thread on Detroit HP on it, with current pics and old pics

http://www.detroithorsepower.com/forum/index.php?topic=2922.0

Wayne

nascarfan88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:29:38 PM »
I know the car you're talking about. It's been to Thorn Hill dragstrip in Ky. within the past couple of years. Don't know who owns it now, or if the paint scheme survives.

Thats probably the one as when i used to hang out with them we made several trips to thorn hill. Do they still use the old round clocks instead of the light tree? always thought that was cool. they yellow 69 that was in the other posts is not the car but thanks for the info anyway.

When they start running at thorn hill again this summer if you get a chance to ask about the car any info would be great. may have to make me a trip down there sometime this summer.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 03:31:26 AM »
The Sherwood Allen team still race in NHRA's division one.

Jerry

JohnKY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 06:52:48 AM »
I believe "Blankenship' or some such name was on it years ago. Seems like that name has been removed, but the car name continued.

Funny you should mention the old clocks; I bought them at auction when Ralph died, and they are hanging in my garage!

nascarfan88

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 10:26:58 PM »
I believe "Blankenship' or some such name was on it years ago. Seems like that name has been removed, but the car name continued.

Funny you should mention the old clocks; I bought them at auction when Ralph died, and they are hanging in my garage!

Yes the Blankenships did Own that car so it is the right Car!!!!  Thanks

Wow greta piece of nastalgia those clocks are. doe you have power to them? did you get the hardware with them so you can make them work?

brewhaha6898

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 02:17:21 PM »
Hello all thanks for letting me join.

When i was in jr. high school back in the late 70's early 80's one of my best friends father at that time bought a 1968 z28. all black was a tubbed out drag car in 1979 or 1980 when he bought the car (body only.no motor or trans.) it had been told to me that this was converted to a drag car shortly after purchase in '68. anyway getting on with the subject. i have lost touch with my friend and was wondering if anyone has seen this car.

1968 z28 modified for drag racing and if you saw it you would know it. it was Black with the words airbrushed on the sides in 1&1/2 or 2ft size that says

"SOUL SURVIVOR"  at the time this car was housed in a wooden garage in Norwood,Ohio. If anyone knows the whereabouts of this car from my teenage years i would like to know what has happened to it and if she's still burning up the local drag strips somewhere.

Thanks for your time.

Rick
There is a thread on Detroit HP on it, with current pics and old pics

http://www.detroithorsepower.com/forum/index.php?topic=2922.0

Wayne

I currently own the car

brewhaha6898

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 02:18:09 PM »
I currently own this car

brewhaha6898

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 03:07:43 PM »
Unfortunately, the car is just black now. It does not have the original paint scheme or lettering on it. I wish it did, but it didnt have it on the car when I bought it in 2000

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 05:25:28 PM »
I'm looking for anyone who has old ties or pictures or access through acquaintances who raced  at Thornhill in the 70's that could possibly know my car and help with owner history pre 1978? When I bought my car, it had some entry stubs and time slips under the driver's seat from this track. That is my only lead.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

anything