Author Topic: Heater Cores - important to have originals in concourse judging?  (Read 4196 times)

smith69z

• View Profile
Heater Cores - important to have originals in concourse judging?
« on: February 14, 2008, 01:40:20 AM »
Its one of those pieces that you say "no one can see it" "pain to repalce if it goes bad". Is it worth using an original even if its in perfect shape or just replace it with new so you don't have to worry about a failure? Would judges even care?
Thanks

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Heater Cores - important to have originals in concourse judging?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 05:49:16 PM »
When I disassembled the front of my '69 RS back to the firewall, the heater core got pulled and changed.  In my opinion, you do not want to go that far and leave a 39 year old heater core. 

Although I replaced it, I did keep my original.  It is now hanging on the wall in the garage.  It is clearly stamped Harrison and A 69 (January 1969) on one end.  No way the Harrison name or date code can be seen.   Only visible item are the in and out tubes penetrating the firewall.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

smith69z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 10:59:31 PM »
Thanks Rich, Thats what I was thinking. I guess I'll hold on to it and use the new one.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 02:14:18 AM »
Thanks Rich, Thats what I was thinking. I guess I'll hold on to it and use the new one.

Tip - before you install a new one, take it to a radiator shop and have it pressure-tested to make sure it hasn't been damaged (cracked solder joint) in shipping; you DON'T want to do that job twice.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 03:47:30 AM »
Don has seen it.  I had my radiator guy, replace the Harrison end on a new heater core and test it.  I know it there :)

anything