Author Topic: Restoring seats with new foam  (Read 4539 times)

Jesper

• View Profile
Restoring seats with new foam
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:38:47 PM »
Hi there,

anyone who has a good tip, how to install new seat foaming on both buckets?

I took the drivers seat apart yesterday, and i am replacing the foam and the cover. Will it be nessecary to re-use the old "fine" treadings, crossing the spring package, when using an aftermarket-foam (from NPD) ?

Or can i directly hog the cover through the foam, on to the springs?

Anyone who has a good tip to some instructions on the internet, or maybe a handbook regarding this issue?

Looking forward to hear from you,

and with best regards from Denmark

/Jesper

mrdetails

• View Profile
Re: Restoring seats with new foam
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 05:41:31 PM »
Jesper: I completed this job a litle while ago. The results were very good, but it was a difficult job. Much more so than just changing the covers. I remade the  "fine treadings" as you call them with new burlap and stainless steel spring wire ( from Mcmaster-Carr) although I dont think they are nessary. The most important thing is to re-enforce the listing lines (where the pleats end along the sides) with some welcing rod approx. .09 dia. for the full length. You will also see a rod in the springs in the same location. tou turm the cover inside out and hog ring the two re-enforcements togther. Them turn the cover right side out and hook the bottom ovet the ledges in the seat frame. Actually a friend of mine who hase years of experience with this showed me a trick...he got some super strong thread and a long needle and stiched a loop thru the botton of the seat around the re-enforcements and back thru the bottom. Now you can pull on the threads, after you turn the cover right side out and secure the bottom, to adjust the look of the listing lines. More compression or less as you prefer. Also put a dry cleaning bag over the foam and the pulling will be much easier. It is important to note how the seat was originally assembled. As I said mine came out very good and I am pleased with them, They look like seats in pictures of the camaro's when they were new. The listing lines are very crisp.
Good luck keep at it
Sam

Jesper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 08:27:23 PM »
Hi Sam,

thanks very much for your tips, it all seems very helpful.

I have in the meantime now been restoring the sats frames and the two outer springs under the seat buns (with a originally-looking spring) as they were both broken.

The tip with the dry-cleaners bag seems also very helpful; i tried to do a pre-install of the covers over the foam, and it seemed almost impossible !!

I think a will not install the "fine treadings", because the "sack-lining" has almost disapeared; there will be no hold on to them.

I also think, i will have to renew both covers, as the lining underneat (as well as the reinforce-linings) also has disappeared (the covers itselves where actually rather OK).

When i have finished the seats, i will but a comment back on this page, with som further infosī     

best regards from Denmark

/Jesper

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 05:31:05 PM »
Jesper: Try using the string method of securing the listing lines of the seat cover to the springs. With new foam hog-rings are very dificult to install and if they are not lined up the cover will be wrinkled. You could also use long cable ties. Leave them loose, turn the cover right side out and tighttem them up a little at  a time for best results.
Sam

smith69z

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 11:03:10 PM »
I used the cable-tie method and it worked OK. Mark the seat and cover to ensure each tie goes in to the exact loaction. Hook them lose and when completed pull tight until you get the correct depth. Cut the seat cover hole for the cable tie wider then you need so you have a little adjustment from back to front when all the cables are in. I must say after doing all the work on my restorations seat covers were the biggest pain in the butt. I have 1 more bottom to do and there done. I would rather be doing ANYTHING else on the car, barr none, then these covers. Good luck!

anything