Author Topic: my mid-life crisis  (Read 6603 times)

deputystoneman

• View Profile
my mid-life crisis
« on: February 09, 2008, 10:01:12 PM »
my wife let me buy a 1968 convertible camaro last year.  it is in good shape but there are things that i cannot figure out.  i am not a mechanic.
1/  if i want to change the oil pump is it necessary to pull the engine?
2/ the car has two different size tires on it, the one on the rear larger that the front.  is there a reason for this and will the front take the same larger size as the rear?

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Re: my mid-life crisis
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 10:39:49 PM »
Why do you think you need an oil pump if your not a mechanic?  ???     If you are not a mechanic and try to tackle the oil pump, it could cost you more in the long run.

What size tires are on the vehicle?  Are the rears wider than the fronts?  We need more information.   ;)

Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

deputystoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 10:42:59 PM »
the fronts are 205r70 14 and the rear 20560 r 15.

deputystoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 10:45:02 PM »
i like to try and do some of my own work. 

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 05:36:17 AM »
You don't just change an oil pump for fun. What exactly do you think is wrong with it??
Kurt S
CRG

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 11:42:06 AM »
You should have 14X6 wheels, front and back.  The next question is what are your plans for the car?  Do you plan on bringing it back to a stock restored car?  I suggest buying several books on the 68 model year for reference.  Do a search on eBay for material. 
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 03:01:32 PM »
John is right, but ever since the 60s many have put larger and wider wheels on the car seeking to put more rubber on the road.  Search this forum about tire size and you will find differing opinions (beyond what was original).  I had 15", wider on the rear, when I got my 68, but I just switched back to 14" BFG Radial T/As and the car rides better and doesn't scrape.

Kurt is right.  Why don't you share a bit about your automotive experience; specifically describe problems or issues, and ask specific questions?  That will greatly add understanding for the experts here at CRG in giving you good advice.  I've learned and learned and learned from these guys!

And hey, post us a picture of this 68 convertible!  In my  ::) "unbiased"  ::) opinion we can never see enough 68s...  ;D
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 12:56:52 AM »
 IMO 14x6's are pretty much the standard now a days for wheel size. Unless you are planning on building a pro touring, I've seen some pretty radical wheels up to 17" on those.
Still haven't heard why you feel you need a new oil pump on your car. If it is because you have low oil pressure, it could be because of numerous other reasons including bad rings, bad main bearings, blocked passages, bad pick up becasue of sludge in the pan etc etc etc. Isn't owing a first gen fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

dab67

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 08:20:15 PM »
To answer your question about installing an oil pump...  You could do it in the car but I'd pull the motor it would be faster.  Besides you would have to remove the fan, radiator fan shroud and pull the distributor to jack it up high enough. It would be a real pain in the butt.  It would take about an hour or so to pull with the proper tools.  While your with the oil pan off you can inspect the bearings and detail the engine compartment and engine both.
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe