Author Topic: Factory or Dealer  (Read 4138 times)

crobjones2

• View Profile
Factory or Dealer
« on: January 24, 2008, 02:20:21 AM »
I am currently restoring a 69 SS. I have several options that I assume are dealer installed. I am thinking of entering the car for judging when restoration is complete. Should I leave off the dealer options or re-install them?

The list of options that I can come up with are: The single stripe ( which will be restored ); Under dash 8track ( was located to the left of the gauge cluster under the radio); three 6x9 speakers across the rear (it has an AM/FM - not stereo radio); and a full body undercoating.
Thank you for your comments
Chris
Chris
69 SS 350

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Factory or Dealer
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 09:09:12 PM »
For judging, as I understand it, you only have one real option, as it left the factory.  However, that being said, I personally think that is a bunch of bunk.  What should really count is the way the car was first delivered to the person who first bought it.  Chevy (Norwook or LA) could have cared less about whether or not they installed the option of if a dealer later added it on.  The only thing either the factory or the dealer cared about was selling cars.  You've got a great example - the 8 track stereo.  How many of those do you see?  Very few.  Car, to me, is more interesting with it in than with it removed. 

Only caveat that I would mention at this point is something often discussed here.  Car should be documented properly, clearly indicating factory vs. dealer options, especially at time of sale.   A lot of people pay big $$$ for factory and for someone to try and say dealer intalled options were factory installed would not be ethical.  You have clearly indicated factory vs. dealer for your car - so no problem there.

For me, I prefer how the dealer sold the car.  But then my opinion and $1 will buy you a cup of coffee - and you won't win any judging contests.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 09:14:52 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

vtfb68

• View Profile
Re: Factory or Dealer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 12:48:44 AM »
 There is no way to document/prove dealer parts  were installed without ORIGINAL dealer paperwork with either the confirmed original owners name  or lic./VIN numbers. (Check paper stock, Ink/carbon marks if a lot of $$ is involved, Too many assholes out there....sorry) Thats why the 427 swap cars are so hard to find and document. close date codes do not prove anything.   
How long does "original dealer installed" hold water? Befor first owner? One Month? The documented 68 Dana from Hawaii was bought at cormier chevrolet in Long Beach, a year later sent to Dana Chevrolet in southgate (10 Miles) for the swap. This is the most documented Dana that I know of. Most are gone becuse they were used the way they were built to be used. Just my opinion. This is a great site ... thank's guys.
                                                                                 1968 RS/SS 396 4-speed
                                                                                                Victor
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible