Author Topic: Sun Visor Question  (Read 8174 times)

ironman24

• View Profile
Sun Visor Question
« on: January 02, 2008, 02:15:44 AM »
Hi all,
  I have a 67 coupe that i just got new Sunvisors for.  The visors that were in the car were a short style i think maybe out of a second gen camaro or who knows what.... Thy did not have the metal part that reached the middle support over the rear view mirror to connect into it.  So i got a set of 67 visors from Classic Industries to put in.  My problem now is.. When i put them in they still come up about an inch short of reaching the center boot above the rear view mirror...??  Now after looking in the catalog i see that there is a different mirror support and boot for a 67 and one for 68 & 69.  From what i can see is the one in my car is out of a 68 not a 67.  I guess my question is... would a 67 mirror support and boot be wider so the visor would reach and catch in the boot ???

I guess this is why the previous owner used a short style visor.. so he would have this problem... :'(

One other thing I tried to check out was on my friends 68, I measured from the edge of his head liner to the center of his outer support, and i come up with 4", now on my car i measure from the edge of the head liner to the center of my support and i come up with close to 3".  This is the inch im coming up short.  Im thinking maybe the ceter boot for a 67 is wider to make up the difference but maybe im wrong.... 
Is the outer sun visor supports in different location on a 67 and 68?
Any ideas?

thanks,
Charlie

ironman24

• View Profile
Re: Sun Visor Question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 02:24:53 PM »
Anyone??? Help!!

:(

ironman24

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 03:20:10 AM »
Hi all,
  Im still stumpped on my visor issue.  I think my visor is the problem.  Can anyone give me a measurement of a 67 Coupe sun visor from the outside of the left Pin to Pin to the outside of the right pin? please!!!  The ones i just got measure 19 1/2 inches from pin to pin.  I found a post on the net that said a 67 coupe was 20 7/8 from pin to pin.  This would give me a difference of an inch and 3/8.  Thats about what im short to get the center pin into the mirror boot.
  Is it possible they sent me a convertable visor?  I think they are not as long as the coupes.

Any mearsurements would help me a lot....
thanks,
Charlie

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:50:35 PM »
Any mearsurements would help me a lot....
thanks,
Charlie

Hi Charlie -

Since nobody with a '67 has come forward yet, I measured the sun visors on my '68 = 19.5".  This measurement was taken with the visors in place.  Both visors are original.  Both visors measure the same.  My car is a coupe.  Hope this helps!     :)

Paul   

ironman24

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 07:35:38 PM »
So I emailed a tech guy at Classic Industries, and he tells me the 67 visors they have in stock are 19.5 inches. and the 69 visors they have are 20 inches.
It seems to be that i need to put a 69 visor in my 67 to make it reach the center boot.

The only thing i can come up with is the outer mounts are in the wrong spot ???
I sum this up to...........The joy of buying a 40 year old car and not knowing what other people have done to it in those 40 years!  ;D

roper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 01:51:55 AM »
I have a friend just up the road with and original 67 if you want I will stop by and measure his for you. You need the measurements from the outside to the outside? from the left one all the way to the outside of the right one? Steve

ironman24

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 02:29:08 PM »
I have a friend just up the road with and original 67 if you want I will stop by and measure his for you. You need the measurements from the outside to the outside? from the left one all the way to the outside of the right one? Steve
Steve,
  If you could measure the placement of the outer mounts this would help me.  What i did to measure the driverside mount was--  I measured from the edge of the headliner to the center of the mount.  I came up with about 2.50 inches.  I measured a friends 68 the same way and came up with 4 inches on his.  So it seems my mount is 1.50 inches closer to the edge of the headliner. I think thats why my visor is coming up 1.50 inches short of reaching the center boot.  Im not to sure why mine is in a diffenent spot. I thought they would have been the same.  If you can measure your friends 67 this would help me as to see if mine is correct or not...
Thanks,
Charlie

roper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 01:46:31 PM »
I've been out of town and just got back, will post the measurements as soon as I get them. Sorry for the delay. Steve

roper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 12:38:56 PM »
well the camaro is a 68, I will measure it if you want. let me know. Steve

ironman24

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 09:09:27 PM »
well the camaro is a 68, I will measure it if you want. let me know. Steve

Thanks for the offer Steve, but i already measured a 68.  So you dont have to.  I have a friend that knows a guy that has a 67 he is restoring.  Hopefully next weekend i can take a ride over to the car and check his out.