Author Topic: 1968 motor mount safety cable  (Read 14302 times)

ujay

• View Profile
1968 motor mount safety cable
« on: January 14, 2008, 05:33:07 PM »
I am restoring a '68; 327/210 auto with A/C. I am looking for information on the installation of the safety cable on the left side motor mount. I removed a cable about 8" long with long bolt/nut through ends and a smaller cable. I originally had a picture of it installed, but have lost it. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

roper

• View Profile
Re: 1968 motor mount safety cable
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 01:58:59 AM »
on my 69 the bracket mounts to exhaust manifold between the no 1 and 3 pistons and there is a pin thru the bracket,  the cable goes thru the pin, around the upper aframe bushing arm and then back to the pin,

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 04:18:18 PM »
Looks like this.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

68rs327conv

• View Profile
    • The build
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 02:50:03 AM »
Link to installation instructions for both sides http://y2camaro.com/ref/stoplift.php

Mike
Mike
68 RS Conv 327/210hp, Powerglide Factory AC

ujay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »
Guys,

Thank you for the responses. You sloved the mystery. My engine is missing the bracket on the driver's side and the longer cable goes on the passenger side. Here's a pic of the cables.

68rs327conv

• View Profile
    • The build
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 07:25:53 PM »
The bracket you need is on ebay from Chicago Muscle Car Parts, ask for Ralphhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-68-69-CAMARO-ENGINE-LIFT-STOP-BRACKET-350-327-302_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34202QQihZ006QQitemZ160151032429QQtcZphoto

Can you measure the length of cable on the passenger side as that is the part I need unless you are willing to sell it

Mike
Mike
68 RS Conv 327/210hp, Powerglide Factory AC

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 03:47:59 PM »
Why not just install the good interlocking engine mounts and skip the cable bandaid thing?? GM did it only as a bandaid fix - it was that or replace all the engine mounts!
Kurt S
CRG

ujay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 07:30:47 PM »
I do agree that a set of good mounts is better than a bandaid fix. However, since I have both cables, I want to install them because they are part of the cars history.

Mike, thanks for the link to the bracket on ebay. One recently sold for under $20, but I'll keep a watch on this one. I'll measure the passenger side cable and post tomorrow.

uj

ujay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 02:50:02 PM »
Mike,

The passenger side cable is 13 7/8" end to end. The bolt is 1/4" X 4 1/4" and has a lockiing type nut.

uj

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 03:00:46 PM »
Installing the cables on a restored car will get you point deductions at a national Camaro event.  They were never installed at either assembly plant so they are not allowed in stock judging.  Also consider that we've had to repair exhaust manifolds with cable grooves in them from wear.  Those cables are hard on the cast iron manifolds. 

Jerry

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »
So, If I have a unrestored 68 with the recall cables and the letter from GM stating the recall and service records for the installation, I will be deducted points? Why not just make more cookie cutter restos..... So much for Camaro preservation..... :P

Steve     

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 05:47:23 PM »
So, If I have a unrestored 68 with the recall cables and the letter from GM stating the recall and service records for the installation, I will be deducted points? Why not just make more cookie cutter restos..... So much for Camaro preservation..... :P

Steve     

Similar logic prevails in NCRS Corvette judging - the judging standard is as the car left the factory, with normal dealer prep, exclusive of any owner or dealer-inspired additions, deletions, or changes. Anything added, deleted, or changed after the car left the factory is outside the judging standard and is subject to a deduction.

No Camaro ever left the factory with the motormount recall kit installed.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 08:18:20 PM »

Steve     

I like the look with them in place.  I remember seeing a lot of these on cars in the early 70's and it is a bit of nostalgia.  Unfortunate that it gets a deduction IMO.  I will have mine on for local and Canadian Nationals then I guess I will remove them when I come down to Carlisle... sigh
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 12:02:15 AM »

Steve     

Similar logic prevails in NCRS Corvette judging - the judging standard is as the car left the factory, with normal dealer prep, exclusive of any owner or dealer-inspired additions, deletions, or changes. Anything added, deleted, or changed after the car left the factory is outside the judging standard and is subject to a deduction.

No Camaro ever left the factory with the motormount recall kit installed.

I understand the "as it left the factory"...I just think it's part of the cars history, more so if you can document it. I sure hope there is a deduction for incorrect  motor mounts in a 68.Ever take the cables off and see what happens? You go for one heck of a ride when the throttle sticks wide open! I did this in my 68 when I first put headers on it. From the end of the driveway all the way up the street.....wide open and out of control! I'm all for the junk motor mounts and the saftey cables in a resto.What good is it if you can't open it up a little?

Steve     

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 02:18:47 AM »
Stuck at full throttle is no fun, I agree. Been there on a twisty road with deep ditches on both sides and oncoming traffic when my carb stuck wide open on an old Cutlass. MOST SCARED I've ever been in a car. I turned off the key.

Get the safe mounts, If you like cables on your car, put them on too. It;s your car enjoy it.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o