Author Topic: Clear Coats/Rust Prevention?  (Read 5103 times)

beebfan

• View Profile
Clear Coats/Rust Prevention?
« on: December 12, 2007, 05:19:56 PM »
I was wondering if anybody has had any luck with clear coats.  I was looking to spray the original gold cad. plating for the brake booster and master cylinder cover as well as the black oxide bolts for rust protection.  I have been looking at products from OEM,VHT and Por15.
I'm trying to keep everything looking stock but with the added protection from rust.
Many thanks for any help on this subject.

mrdetails

• View Profile
Re: Clear Coats/Rust Prevention?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 09:05:51 PM »
beebfan: If you clearcoat gold cad. plating it will change the apperance of thte plating...darken it. You probally won't like the results as the blue/green hues will also go away. Something to do with the numerical aperture of the clear coat. Experiment with a piece you don't care about first. A product I like for black oxide is cosomoline. It is what the army packs guns and such in for long term storage. It is a spray heavy wax that semi dries out. Washes of easily with solvent. It's availably from Rick's. Good luck
Sam

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:18:40 PM »
Is their a product that can be rubbed on the brake booster that may clean up and shine the
gold cad platting. Like a rubbing compound.

asm69

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 12:31:31 AM »
I have used the Eastwood satin clear for bare metal on both silver and gold cad with excellent results.  You can barely notice it.  It did not darken the gold cad or take away from any of the hues.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 04:11:11 PM »
Our professional opinion is that no paint, clear coat, etc should be sprayed over newly plated parts such as the brake booster.  If the car lives in a nice environment which most of them do, there should not be any issues with plating quality going away.  If the parts are sprayed, you will lose some of the rainbow tinting in the gold.

The brake booster on my 1967 Z28 looked as good in 2006 as it did in 1991 when I restored the car.

Jerry

beebfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 03:55:36 PM »
Many thanks to all for your help.  It's good to know that I can find help with my restoration from the good people here.