Author Topic: 69 LA Z..Real..or??? have #'s and pics...  (Read 17603 times)

Iluv69s

• View Profile
69 LA Z..Real..or??? have #'s and pics...
« on: January 09, 2008, 01:45:36 AM »
So I tried to post this on the camaro site, but I could not get the pics posted...maybe here is better anyway...

I am going to be selling my LA 69 Z28...Ive had it probably atleast over 10 years...I bought it and it had a few things that were obviously not original...The motor...it has a big block...and the heater core has been changed to big block..it has a non-original cowe hood and air cleaner...i dont think the spoilers were original...and it has woodgrain deluxe setup on the dash...the cars been painted a few times, so who really knows??  but im tryin to find out th ebest i can...

i thought it might be an original ss big block car...assuming someone had converted it to a Z...but a few things happened once I started investigating that makes me believe it is a real Z for sure.. about a few months ago, i found an old insurance card from a prior owner in 1986...i went to the address on the card and spoke to his brother who got me in touch with the prior owner...it turns out he actually owns a bodyshop and painted the car back to the originall silver as the car was orango when he bought it...he even says he has photos of the car back then...I am going to swing by there this week and talk to him further...he does insist that the car had a 302 in it when he had it by the way!!!

anyway..I finally dropped the tank the other day to find that the tank apparently is not the original, because of a foam insulation instead of the tarpaper type deadener...

So I investigated further and checked the numbers on the trans... i found the assembly date...but no vin
I raed that they put the vins on top of the LA muncies...soo..I dropped the trans...
lo and behold...not one vin,,,but 2!!!
 so its an original muncie car...the trans tunnel is correct too...

I took the rear out years ago and stored it in place of an aftermarket moser rear w/discs...so i went to the basement and checked the numbers... it seems like the rear is wrong?? it is a BU code 12 bolt..but I dont think the dates line up...

I took other pics also...is there anything else to look for??
Are the rear panel bolt holes unique for the Z emblems?
  Ill post pics..let me know what you think...thanks...

the car is vin L5038XX                                    Los 104584

711                69 69 
                                                 10B                 260

apparently a rather early car... 

I'll try the pics hope they work...  trans assembly stamp...thanks

Iluv69s

• View Profile
Re: 69 LA Z..Real..or??? have #'s and pics...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:46:27 AM »
another...vin

Iluv69s

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 01:47:07 AM »
rear stamp

Iluv69s

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 01:49:22 AM »
i assume this is an early car...but, it sure looks like 69 to me??? if it were 68, would the dates line up?? it makes more sense..

i have more pics...is there anything I can look for?? the car is on a lift,so i plan on taking lots of pics anyway...

thanks in advance...!!!.

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 05:29:07 PM »
Looks like G 29 9 to me. A later 69 rear end for an August or Sept of 69 built car.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

Iluv69s

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 11:02:53 AM »
ok...so now what??   wrong rear??

...do the LA Z 28s have the 3/8 fuel line ?? 

this car has a single fuel line...I know things could have been changed years ago...but are the little clamps different that hold the dual fuel lines?? these sure look original...and I dont see how the dual fuel line could attach with what I have...or are the dual fuel lines attached to each other??

How about the tach?? Is there a way to tell if it had an original tach?? an extra wire or hole that goes through the firewall maybe??

thanks....

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 03:36:08 PM »
Yes, a Z would have one fuel line.  The clamps were different for dual fuel lines.
Kurt S
CRG

Iluv69s

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 08:01:25 PM »
well...took some more pics today and I put the trans back in..i put a stock Gm bell back in and a new clutch, as the car had a shield..and the clutch eas pretty bad shape...Im just waiting to put the springs back on the clutch fork...Im not sure how they go as my brother took the springs off...so i will probably take some pics of the cpwl tag,etc. tomorrow...

anyway...heres the fuel line pics...sure looks like original single fuel lines...the car apparentlay has been undercoated years ago??  or is that just alot of roas crud that is peeling off in spots...wharever it is, it has saved this car from rotting out totally!!! also maybe because it was a california car??

here goes the pics...

Iluv69s

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 08:02:03 PM »
heres another of fuel line

Iluv69s

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 08:02:58 PM »
last of the clips..they all seem the same...

Iluv69s

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 08:07:55 PM »
more info on the trans...the trans has 2 grooves on the input shaft...   ???   which i assume means it is an M-20......which is probably not great news...I assume I could have known for sure what the car was originally if it were an M-22 with no grooves...or an M-21 with 1 groove...correct me if I am wrong please...so being an m-20...does that narrow it down any?? does that eliminate the car being an original Z???

heres some pics a few have requested ..for location sake

Iluv69s

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 08:08:48 PM »
a bit closer..the rear stamp...

Iluv69s

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
and the front stamp......

....they both are on the passenger side of the car facing the same direction...

Iluv69s

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 02:41:27 AM »
well, I got the trans back in and got the old Z fired up today...it was nice to feel her going through the gears again...

anyway, i took some more pics.. 

Am I correct to say the car has a M-20? and does that narrow down the possibilities as to the car's originality??

heres a pic of te trans...apparently i have a newer shifter...

Iluv69s

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 02:42:45 AM »
pic of cowl tag....it looks shiny because it is wet with oil because I seemed to have lost a cap on the valve cover... oops

anything