Author Topic: Pypes pipes  (Read 13543 times)

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
Pypes pipes
« on: January 01, 2008, 10:42:37 PM »
Has anyone delt with Pypes exhaust?  I bought their 2.5" down pipes in 409 stainless from Ground Up.  I tried to install them today an was VERY diappointed to find that they don't even come close to fitting a stock set of SB manifolds.  The angles at the flanges were way off and if they had fit the flanges they were about 3" below the frame?  I was wondering if they might be marked wrong.  Do BB pipes have the same general shape, left pipe with a 90 degree bend and the right with a 45 degree angle. 
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Pex68

• View Profile
Re: Pypes pipes
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 11:56:55 PM »
Hi,
No experience with Pypes exhaust but to answer your last question, yes, Big Blocks have the same exit format on stock manifolds.  L/S pipe will have a 90 & R/S pipe will have a 45.  I'd call them (pypes) directly and discuss.  Offer to send pictures too!  Had a problem kinda like that with a set of Thorley Headers for my truck & pictures was the only way to resolve.  Be aware though too if your engine & trans mounts are shot, the whole assembly will sit lower in the frame and bring the pipes closer to the ground.  Ground Up is a reputable company, any issues ask for Kenny!  Good Luck!
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 12:12:21 AM »
Thanks for the come back. 
The car is under going a restoration and all is new.  I talked to Pypes on Monday and they said to call Ground Up.  Today I called and they asked for photos.  So I just got out from under the car and am sending the photos to a guy named Bob.  If I don't get any results quickly I'll ask for Kenny.  What is his position with Ground UP?
I'll keep you posted.  Thanks again!!!!!
Joe
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 02:05:42 AM »
Here's some photos of what I sent to Ground Up.  What do you think ::)
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 01:39:24 PM »
Yeah, somethings not right!  Thats with them tight to the manifolds?  Pretty sure Kenny is the owner.  I know him from seeing him at local swap meets and been buying stuff from him for years.  He's a very cool guy and pretty easy to work with.
Chris P

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 11:43:26 PM »
Yup... As close as I can make them go together.  The angles are off at the flanges.  I sent them the photos last night so they got them this AM.  Before I start squaking I think I need to give them a day or so.
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 02:54:46 AM »
Well good luck and let us know how you make out.
Chris P

no69x-44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 05:17:52 AM »
Hmmm ... that pipe is looking to be hanging a little low.  Have to think that ain't lasting too long hang like that.  Something is deffenently not jivin' there.  Keep us posted on the out come.
--Rob
----------------------------
'72 SS Nova - Gone
'68 Chevelle - Gone
'67 Impala - Gone
'65 Belair - Gone
'00 Corvette - Still got it
'69 Camaro - Keeper

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 01:36:43 PM »
The Pypes company refuses to ackowlege the fact that the pipes don't fit the car.  They insist that they are not labled wrong or manufactured with a defect.  It took a week + to get this much information from them.  After many phone calls to Ground Up along with several emails and photos, Ground Up finally issued a call tag for them and I was able to return them. 
Pypes also wanted me to return them at my expence and if there was a problem they would make good with correct replacements.  After all the greif to get them returned I opted to return them and not give them the chance to take me.
In my opinion Pypes is not a customer oriented company, they don't take the time to listen to the customer.  When I told the guy at Pypes that if I cut a holes in the floors for the pipes, they would exit through the back window.  That's how bad the angles were on the bends. Not to mention they hung just a bit too low!!! They told me to talk to Ground Up. 
My advise is...Don't deal with Pypes exhaust!  If you can afford it go with Gardener or get a factory style from one of the restoration catalogs or get one bent
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 12:05:34 AM »
Sucks when companies treat customers like that.  FYI, noticed a thread on Team Camaro with someone else who also had issues with a Pypes system.  Guess it's not a isolated issue with the quality of their products-not that that makes you any better though!  Before I put a Gardner system on my car I had a Flowmaster header back kit with the delta 40's and just got a length of 2 1/2 pipe, a mandrel 45 & 90 and made the head pipes myself as I didn't have headers and no one was offering head pipes with mandrel bends.  Had Midas flare 2 short pieces to mate to the manifolds, mocked everything up and welded them up.  Came out nice and sounded AWESOME.  Had to take it off though to step up to the higher classes.  It's really not too hard to make the head pipes if you have a welder and you can get all the pipes & bends right from Summit or Jegs.
Chris P

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 12:22:29 AM »
I was trying to go in that direction using the down pipes from Pypes and use the system like you had on yours.  I have a friend that works with a guy that does exhausts on the side.  He made a really nice system for his 32 Ford coupe and 40 Ford pick-up.  I have the mufflers already.  I'm going to check out the cost this week.  As much as I'd love tohave a Gardener system they are a bit out of my reach at the moment. 

You still have the old system???
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 01:13:14 PM »
Yeah but it's already slated for another car!
Chris P

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 02:06:03 PM »
That's cool...never hurts to ask.  Ya never know where ones next good deal will come from.
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 02:29:35 PM »
Gandner is the way to go, well worth the extra expense.

http://www.gardnerexhaust.com/gardnermovie.html
Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 04:49:40 PM »
Gardner makes probably the best original system out there.
But it will cost you in power. A LT1 Deuce owner ran 14.25 ET 98.69 MPH with his concourse car. Only changed the exhaust to Pypes - ran 13.50 ET 104.11 MPH.
.7 sec gain is a lot! Probably be more for a L78 or a L72.
Kurt S
CRG

anything