CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 03:02:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
105671 Posts in 12339 Topics by 4754 Members
Latest Member: Jake
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Restoration
| | |-+  Exhaust Systems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Exhaust Systems  (Read 2844 times)
detfox

View Profile Email
« on: December 30, 2007, 07:39:26 PM »

What do you guys recommend?  My 69 Z28 has duels with some unknown brand mufflers and tail pipes just behind the rear tires, which I donít like.  I can't decide on duels with X-pipe or going into one muffler.  I plan to put the correct tail pipes either way. Some have recommended Flow Masters, but Iím not sure I like the way they sound. I want it to sound good not like boat.
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 01:46:15 PM »

Gardner (www.gardnerexhaust.com)

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
Jerry@CHP
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 03:45:22 PM »

Gardner is the only system accepted in concours judging too.

Jerry
paceme

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 07:40:52 PM »

As been mentioned the Gardner system is a near perfect replication of the original and the way to go if your planning to have the car judged. If you are not necessarily into original and want more of a performance system the American Thunder by Flowmaster gives you a good value. The flowmaster system is not close to original, although the tail pipes give you an original type look. 

Steve Shauger
Vintage Certificationô Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles. Website www.vintagecertification.com
rich69rs

LF7/M35/Z22/Z87

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 07:50:04 PM »

Stainless Works makes a nice system as well.  Summit Racing caries them.  Total 304 ss system including the transverse muffler.  Fits very well - sounds nice as well - a little rumble and throaty but not obnoxious at all.  Tips of the tailpipes are chromed and polsihed which makes for a ncie look.  Not concours original - but not bad either.

Richard Thomas
1969 RS
RamAirDave

RamAirDave
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 01:14:19 AM »

Gardner is the best, hands down.  Customer service matches (or exceeds) the quality of the product.

If youre looking for a less expensive alternative to a stock-style exhaust, the system sold by D&R is pretty good.  I was fairly pleased with it, especially based on my experience with non-Gardner systems.  The system sold through Rick's is a train wreck based on my experience.

"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com
detfox

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 08:56:44 PM »

Thanks for the advice, I'm still not sure what direction I'm going to go.  I plan to get a quote from Gardner, even though I'm not really looking for show standards.  My concern with Flowmaster is that I don't like boat sound that I've heard with them.  I prefer a crisp sound with not too much drone inside.  I'd still like to hear what you guys have used on the 69 Z28.
wtexz10

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 09:56:58 PM »

I've got a Flowmaster American Thunder system with H pipe and stainless tips on my Z10 which has a ZZ4 pumping into it.
I've never had anyone mistake this sound for a boat.  I like it.

Kris

69 Camaro Z10
72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7
04 Mazda RX8
06 Corvette Z06
10 BMW 650i
RamAirDave

RamAirDave
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 12:32:51 AM »

Here are some vid/sound clips of the last two Z's we've restored.  Both 140 cam cars:

Gardner:

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/RamAirDave/GoldZ/?action=view&current=GoldZIdle.flv

Rick's system (has since been replaced w/ D&R system, but haven't heard it) :

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc48/bucks691973/?action=view&current=100_1511.flv

"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com
detfox

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 02:30:53 PM »

I'm going to keep the headers on the car, so I'm going to choose an aftermarket system.  Other then the flowmaster, has anyone found a good system with an X pipe and factory looking tail pipes.  Just to be clear, I have read a lot of threads on this topic, but I haven't seen anything specific.
GaryL

Marilyn and me

gandmal
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 03:53:34 PM »

The IMCO transverse system as sold thru HB City.

http://www.camaros.net/showroom/showphoto.php?photo=1624&cat=500&ppuser=11189
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 03:57:38 PM by GaryL » Logged

Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.
Jerry@CHP
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 06:08:22 PM »

Check out Borla Exhaust too.  They have a good reputation.

Good luck,
Jerry
GaryL

Marilyn and me

gandmal
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 10:08:31 PM »

I'm going to keep the headers on the car, so I'm going to choose an aftermarket system.  Other then the flowmaster, has anyone found a good system with an X pipe and factory looking tail pipes.  Just to be clear, I have read a lot of threads on this topic, but I haven't seen anything specific.
zdld17 over at Team Camaro has a Flowmaster 17104 Kit with "H" pipe. 2 1/2" all the way back.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 10:14:55 PM by GaryL » Logged

Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.
hotrod68

almost finished

rusticman48@aol
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 11:54:24 PM »

Summit makes a nice, economical 3" system--I used it on my '68, although the tailpipes didn't fit right with my mufflers. It tucks up under the car very well and is mandrel-bent with no kinks. Summit also has an H-pipe kit that works great with it. I used Warlock mufflers because they have the plugs you can take out at the drag strip, instead of dropping the lead pipes at the headers. They're fairly quiet, too--kind of like the old Hush Thrush oval mufflers. I don't have anything against Flowmasters--I have a Flowmaster on my '87 IROC--but they just don't have that '60s growl, and I wasn't going to spend $700 on a whole Flowmaster 3" exhaust system for my '68. The Summit pipes, H-pipe and Warlocks cost me less than $400, and I'm very satisfied with the quality and how easy they were to install. My kudos go to Summit.

HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: