Author Topic: Lordstown Ohio  (Read 6102 times)

ccargo

• View Profile
Lordstown Ohio
« on: December 28, 2007, 12:55:59 AM »
What kind of resources did GM have at the Lordstown facility in 1967? If I'm correct it was opened in 1966 as a new facility? Would it have had any special tech or engineering departments?  I've also heard that Lordstown had a railroad shipping depot called "the space center" that was a centralized shipping location for both Norwood and Lordstown GM products? Would Norwood products have been shipped here before the final dealership destinations were scheduled?
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lordstown Ohio
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 07:40:40 PM »
Pat - I was at Lordstown from 1969-1975; I was in charge of gutting the plant and converting it from Impala/Caprice/Firebird production to Vega production, and was a Production Superintendent (Trim, Chassis and Final) from '73-'75.

There were no special engineering or technical facilities at Lordstown - it was just another large assembly plant, except that it ran the Vega at 100 per hour and we had GM's first installation of large-scale robotics (first-generation hydraulic Unimates) and the first installation of ELPO full-body electrophoretic full-body dip primer. We also had the Vert-A-Pak Vega shipping system, where 30 Vegas were shipped in each enclosed rail car, hung nose-down like sides of beef from hooks in the underbody (photo below).

The rail shipping yard was also a transfer hub, and tri-level cars with products from other plants were marshalled there and made up into new trains that went directly to their destination regional railheads for distribution on haulaway trucks from there to the dealers.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 08:29:50 PM »
I knew you would have the answer John....what a wealth of knowledge you have been to us all! I'll bet the robotics program was welcomed with open arms their at Lordstown :) I read somewhere they dropped in a robotic spot welder for testing at Norwood back in 67 too? I got interested in this plant after talking with a guy who worked their in the 60's and said he recalled seing camaros in the train yard.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 08:35:54 PM by ccargo »

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 09:19:02 PM »
I also had some free time this week to surf the net and came up with this link to the history of the Warren MI. tech and engineering center. Its a good read if you like this sort of thing.

http://www.mkthink.com/gm_tech_center_history.htm

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 04:53:23 PM »
I spent about half of my 21-year GM career at the Tech Center; in the Corvette Group at Chevrolet Engineering in '67-'68, and with GMAD from '75-'85. The rest of the time was in the plants - Flint, Norwood, and Lordstown.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

COPO427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 05:09:43 PM »
Wow very interseting storys JohnZ. Love hearing about anything that went on at an assembly plant. Especially at Chevrolet Engineering. I have a copy of Paul Van Vaulkenburgh's "Chevrolet racing?" book. I still to this day cannot beieve some of the stuff that went on at Chevrolet. Simply stunning.. Did you know Paul? Did you work with him on any projects? He was involved with the D80 spoiler design. Real cool stuff.

I once had a tour through the Framingham, Mass. plant back in early 80's. I believe they produced Chevelles also back in the day. When I was there Chevy Celeberty wagons were rolling out the door...

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 03:22:15 PM »
Did you know Paul? Did you work with him on any projects?

I was familiar with the name, but never worked with Paul.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG