Author Topic: Instrument panel question(s)  (Read 7962 times)

nlpirr

• View Profile
Instrument panel question(s)
« on: April 03, 2006, 10:16:53 PM »
I have two real quick questions involving the restoration of my instrument panel.

1. I can’t seem to be able to get the front light knob off. Does it unscrew??
2. I can’t get the entire left “astro vent” mechanism to release. I can’t find the screws?

Any tip on actually taking the entire instrument panel display off so I can clean and restore it and putting it back on would be a huge help.

Thanks,

Nick p.

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
Re: Instrument panel question(s)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 12:31:21 AM »
Hey Nick, I don't know if '69 is different, but '67 the vent has 2 screws, one inside the bezel top center, the second appears to be outside the bezel, bottom slightly to the left.  The headlight switch pulls out to the on position, then you reach behind the dash and there's a small release button on the outside of the switch housing.  Hold the button and the knob and shaft should come out.  I'm just looking at the chassis service manual for these things, I haven't done them myself.  Hope this helps.    Randy

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 05:53:47 PM »
I have two real quick questions involving the restoration of my instrument panel.

2. I can’t get the entire left “astro vent” mechanism to release. I can’t find the screws?

Any tip on actually taking the entire instrument panel display off so I can clean and restore it and putting it back on would be a huge help.

Thanks,

Nick p.

The back side of the left astro vent housing is a slip-fit with a foam seal into the Fisher Body duct attached to the plenum; it will pull straight out.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

nlpirr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 07:11:21 PM »
Okay,

I'll work on this tonight. I could not find that in the manual I have. I have the "F" body manaul but could not seem to find it at all.
this will help. I did find the bolts and they are going to be a bear to get at since the windshield is in the way. I'll get a fancy tool at the auto part store to reach these and that should take care of the last step in releasing the entire inst. panel.

My guess it will take me 3 times as long to put back together than it did to take it off !!

I have a problem maybe you can help me with that relates to the kick panel. On the right kick panel, I wanted to pull this and restore it. I have air cond. so the air vent unit is a part of this. the problem is I cant get the until out of the vent. I feel like I need to pry it out but i'm afraid I'll break a piece of the plastic off??  The door came off as the instructions called for in the manual, but the long round vent sleave that reaches into the actual duct is a bear to get out. 

any clues ?

thanks again..

Nick p.

detfox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 10:52:18 PM »

Thanks,

Nick p.

The back side of the left astro vent housing is a slip-fit with a foam seal into the Fisher Body duct attached to the plenum; it will pull straight out.
I am having the same problem with the entire cluster.  I believe I have removed every screw, the radio, the headlamp switch and still the inst cluster seems to be held in somewhere.  All I am trying to do is replace the Astro vent (driver's side) and it won't come free.  Someone Please HELP!

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 11:22:16 PM »
detfox

I'm not real familiar with the 69 panel but if you are trying to pull the "cluster" did you remember to disconnect the speedometer cable?  On the 67-68 the cluster won't come all the way out without doing this.

Steve

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 11:54:12 PM »
did you get the nuts on the back of the panel? There are these threaded studs that clip on the back  and go through the dash frame.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 11:07:08 PM »
The nuts that Mikey is referring to are on the right side of the heater controls.
Kurt S
CRG

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 06:15:49 PM »
If I'm correct, you are trying to get the kick panel vents out.  My car does not have a/c but the process would be similar.  To get the left side off you need to remove the emergency brake pedal assembly.  For the right side the heater core box needs to be loosened and pulled back and aside. Then the kick panel will have the clearence to be removed.
Hope this helps!
Joe
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

anything