Author Topic: Front Sheet Metal Paint/Assembly Sequence  (Read 9066 times)

jeff68

• View Profile
Front Sheet Metal Paint/Assembly Sequence
« on: January 14, 2006, 11:14:40 PM »
My car is at the paint shop.  The painter wants to edge the front fenders then install them and paint them on the car.  I think that it will be better to paint them off the car.  Any comments/suggestions?  I'm not a paint & body expert, and I don't want to make a request that will upset my body guy.
Also, if the fenders are painted off the car, should the inner fenderwells be bolted to the fenders prior to installing them?  I did a test install of the fenderwells first, then the fenders and it was a little tricky getting the fenders mounted.  I wonder how it was done at the factory.
I'm sure some of you have been through this installation many times and can offer some great tips.  Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Front Sheet Metal Paint/Assembly Sequence
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 12:05:34 AM »
All the front sheetmetal was mounted loose on a buck in front of the body prior to paint. There is a photo of this in "The Great Firebird". After painting it was sent to an assembly area. That is why the cars' sequence number is usually written inside the lower grill panel.

I have done cars both ways with about the same result.

Apart takes more room and runs the risk of damaging the paint during assembly. Also if metallic paint is being used you run the risk of a mismatch with the body. Even GM did not always get this right. Everything has to be positioned exactly how it will be on the car.

Together requires much more careful masking and runs the risk of paint ending up where you don't want it.

I agree with your thinking-don't PO the painter.
Learning more and more about less and less...

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 05:05:16 PM »

Also, if the fenders are painted off the car, should the inner fenderwells be bolted to the fenders prior to installing them?  I did a test install of the fenderwells first, then the fenders and it was a little tricky getting the fenders mounted.  I wonder how it was done at the factory.

After the fenders were painted body color and conveyed to the sheet metal assembly area, the inner fenders (which had previously been black dip-primed) were attached to the fenders, then the front sheet metal was assembled (fenders, header, rad support, center hood latch support, headlights, horns, etc.). The hood was installed after the front sheet metal was assembled to the body.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

shift1313

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 10:12:58 PM »
when reassembling the car before paint.  What is easier to do. fenders then doors, or doors then fenders.  Im just asking because i removed the front clip first and then the doors and it seems like each was has its benefits.

thanks

matt

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 04:07:56 PM »
Doors first! Establishing the gap/flush to the quarter and rocker is critical to the eventual fit of the fenders. Remember to fit the rear of the door a tad high to the quarter to compensate for the later added weight of the door glass, hardware, and trim.  :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

shift1313

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 12:04:08 PM »
thanks for the tip. 

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 01:56:23 PM »
Dont forget to align the front sheet metal before you set it a tad high for weight compensation.

Buddy