CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2014, 04:49:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
97119 Posts in 11685 Topics by 4578 Members
Latest Member: ronhill
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  end of assembly inspection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: end of assembly inspection  (Read 2342 times)
ccargo

View Profile Email
« on: January 11, 2006, 08:11:01 PM »

I know this has been discussed before but I forget the details. At the end of final assembly what would happen to a vehicle that did not pass the final process for something other than light repairs or adjustments, lets say for an engine knock. Where would it be sent and how would the problem be corrected?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 08:21:12 PM by ccargo » Logged

Pat Railsback
67 0-1 L35/M40
68 L78/M22
69 Z11 L34/M20
RamAirDave

RamAirDave
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 02:00:36 AM »

That's most likely a question for JohnZ.  I don't know how often he checks this board, but he should be able to give some insight.

dave

"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 11:24:02 AM »

If an engine problem was noted during the roll-test, the car would go to Heavy Repair, on a hoist, and the engine would be pulled, stripped of dress components, and sent back to the engine plant for credit; no internal engine repairs were permitted in the assembly plants. A fresh engine would be run down the engine dress line, VIN-stamped to match the car, delivered to Heavy Repair, and would be installed in the car. The car would then be re-inspected, re-roll-tested, and shipped. A good Heavy Repairman could do a complete engine change in about three hours.

Nearly a thousand cars a day went through the plant, and there wasn't time, space, or manpower to deal with time-consuming engine teardowns or repairs, and the engine plants wouldn't allow it; they were responsible for engine warranty, and didn't want anyone but their own people inside the engine, at their own plant.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
ccargo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 08:03:53 AM »

Thanks John, I figured they didnt just drive em off a cliff with crash test dummies inside  Grin I copied the thread and put it in my research file. I like that feature of the new site.

Pat

Pat Railsback
67 0-1 L35/M40
68 L78/M22
69 Z11 L34/M20
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: