Author Topic: 4th gen LT1 to LS1 front disc brake swap  (Read 6451 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
4th gen LT1 to LS1 front disc brake swap
« on: December 04, 2007, 11:04:09 PM »
Okay, I know this is not a 4th gen website...but I have come to trust the opinions of you guys and I also do not know of any 4th gen websites like this that would be of help to me.  I read in an article that the 93-97 4th gen F-body were very poor and had front disc brakes that were 10.7 inch rotors and single piston calipers.  One of the best mods to do was install a 98 or later F-body setup as they have 11.8 inch rotors and dual piston calipers.  My question is this.  I have found a donor car at the junkyard.  Can I use my same spindle setup on my 97 for the swap or do I need to swap the entire setup from ball joint to ball joint?

Thanks guys.

Steve

sdkar

• View Profile
Re: 4th gen LT1 to LS1 front disc brake swap
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:22:42 PM »
The answer is NO, you can not use the existing spindles...they are different.  You have to use the 98 and newer spindles to use the LS1 brakes (the brakes are the same on the 6 cyl model as well).  I have now done this and the transplant is complete.  It is an absolute night and day difference in the braking of the car.  The LT1 brakes were horrible in comparison and I hightly recommend to anyone with a 93-97 Camaro/Firebrid to do this.  I bought the entire setup at the junkyard, complete pair of spindles, rotors and calipers for $75.  Cheap upgrade with lots of results.

anything