Author Topic: Correct position of #1 cylinder on distributor  (Read 5428 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Correct position of #1 cylinder on distributor
« on: November 27, 2007, 01:52:45 PM »
I have a 69 Camaro with a 350 motor.  The #1 cylinder position on my distributor is at approximately the 9 o'clock position if you are standing in front of the car and the firewall being 12 o'clock.  Is this correct?  The car runs perfect and does not backfire, miss or hesitate at all.  I just thought that it should be around the 6 o'clock position and this setting seems turned a little too high up.  I pulled the timing cover and the dots on the pulleys line up perfectly at this point.  Just looking for verification if the 9 o'clock position is correct and if not, what is the ideal setting.

Steve

CNorton

• View Profile
Re: Correct position of #1 cylinder on distributor
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 03:29:24 PM »
The position of the #1 spark plug wire in the distributor cap is not necessarily a function of the alignment of the timing gear dots.   When the dots are aligned at the timing chain (top sprocket dot at the bottom and the crankshaft dot at the top) the rotor should be pointing at the #6 terminal inside the cap.  If you rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees (so that both dots are at the top of their respective orbits) the rotor should be pointing to #1.  While the crankshaft/camshaft are thusly aligned, you will be able to loosen the distributor, lift it clear of the cam gear and turn the rotor to any position you'd prefer.  Just make sure that you re-position the wires so that the rotor is aligned with the number # 1 spark plug wire in the cap (at whatever position you've chosen around the clock).  Then, follow up by inserting the rest of the plug wires clockwise around the cap in the sequence of the firing order.  The last step would be to adjust the timing with a timing light as usual.

On second thought, if it's running well and you're not terminally upset with the precise positioning of the wires, I'd just leave it alone.  I have realized that I could make this change in my sleep but explaining it isn't so easy.  I have a lot of admiration for the people who write tech manuals.

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 03:55:38 PM »
I agree with Mr. Norton.  If you can set the timing with a light, and the car runs fine, why mess with it?  Who going to see where #1 fires?  I have people tell me they didn't know Ford put a 302 in a Camaro, so I bet they really don't care where #1 lines up on the cap.  :D
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 05:52:31 PM »
The #1 position should be at 7o'clock.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 06:07:02 PM »
Major issue that I am aware of with setting the distributor other than as factory recommends is potential inteference with wth vacuum advance can.  Otherwise, as stated above, as long as you properly locate plug wire #1 ....
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 06:41:52 PM »
This is the "factory" distributor orientation and wire indexing.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything