Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

67 68 Camaro manual drum brakes

<< < (2/10) > >>

Steve68:
Jeff

I think you would have felt something at that depth below the valve seat.  Yes, automotive stores do sell the mc kits that have the check valves in them.  You will have to get a couple extra tube nuts that go into the outlets.  They are used to both extract and install the new valve seats.  Make sure you can find these before proceeding with the repair job.  Do you feel you can't go back to SSBC and ask them why they failed to install the check valves?

Steve

jeff68:
Well, I looked up my paperwork from the rebuild, and it was done back in August of 2001.  (Man, I've been working on this project waaaaaay too long.)  I figure that I would rather just install them myself than risk having something happen to my original MC.  Plus, I'm not sure that they are still in the rebuild business.

I tried blowing back through the 2 MC outlets by mouth, and I can easily blow air back through them.  I can't believe that there is a 10 psi valve in there.

It looks like the NAPA UP472 rebuild kit comes with the valves and new brake line seats.  I think that I'll just go that route.

I understand the process for removal of the seats, but I have a question about installation.  Should you install the new seats using only the tube nut to press them into place?  It seems like this could possibly score the surface of the seat that mates with the brake line.  Would it be better to install the seats using an actual brake line & nut instead of just the nut?  Should anything be used on the new seats, such as Loctite retaining compound or brake fluid for lubrication?

I really appreciate all your help on this, Steve.

-Jeff

Steve68:
Jeff

No lubrication is needed and using the nut only is the method the service manual calls for.  The contact area of the nut is greater in diameter then the contact area of the brake line flare area so it should not be a problem if the valve is slightly scored.

Steve

jeff68:
Steve-
Thanks for the info.  I'll give it a shot.
-Jeff

Steve68:
Jeff

I don't think you will find it too difficult.  Just take it slow.  By the way, the springs fit up into the bottom of the check valves.  Let us know how it goes.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page