Author Topic: How can you tell if a comfort grip wheel is original to the car?  (Read 11332 times)

ccmblack

• View Profile
How can you tell if a comfort grip wheel is original to the car?
« on: November 13, 2007, 05:49:33 AM »
Mine has two holes on the finger grip side of the wheel.  One seems to have an "O" stamped into it.  Does this mean anything?  How would you tell if it is original?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: How can you tell if a comfort grip wheel is original to the car?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 03:55:58 PM »
Easy - the "comfort grip" steering wheel was never used in production on a Camaro, although they were used on other car lines and sold over the counter.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

VetteDude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 11:46:04 PM »
Easy - the "comfort grip" steering wheel was never used in production on a Camaro, although they were used on other car lines and sold over the counter.

Hey, John doing double duty?

glenn64vette -- CF

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 03:41:36 PM »

glenn64vette -- CF

Yup! Welcome to the CRG forum! :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

VetteDude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 11:34:48 PM »

glenn64vette -- CF
[/quote]

Yup! Welcome to the CRG forum! :)
[/quote]

Yea, nice place. Just started to use this forum for info. Seems CRG has it together.

gman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 02:02:42 AM »

I would beg to differ that the "comfort grip" wheel was never factory installed...I owned a '69 SS/RS L78 which I spoke to the original owner on..It is an Olympic Gold, deluxe interior, endura car, with some nice options...among those the comfort grip wheel..The car is currently in PA and being restored..Jerry M. did some of the work for the owner...

The car when I owned it was unrestored, save for a color change to black and matching numbered with the exception of the trans (M21, but not the VIN numbered trans)..I did a title search and traced the car to Lattamer Looney Chevrolet (sp?)in Knoxville TN and spoke to the original owner....The car had spoliers added as well as rally's, but all other options were factory..The car is a 02B or D car (off memory) and an X22..

This was done by me in 1991 or 1992...the original owner remembered the car, and also the options...told me he remembered the steering wheel being the comfort grip as he thought it wouldn't be as hot...

Is there any paperwork which says no comfort grips were installed...I also see where Charley Lillard has a SS/RS L34 which has one listed on the window sticker..

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 02:30:40 AM »
I'm a doubter. Too early, that's before the wheel was announced. Bet he was thinking of the N34 wood wheel.
Kurt S
CRG

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 03:32:57 AM »
Is it possibly a dealer installed wheel?
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

gman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 03:50:31 AM »
I don't think he was and the wheel appeared to never have been off the car..all of the wear patterns looked good and everything worked..even the key buzzer..The original owner specifically mentioned the wheel being a black wheel, and had 3 spokes..I also tracked down just about all the owners (it had a bunch) and everyone mentioned the same options...

As far as a dealer wheel..I also doubt that..while the car had deluxe and gauges..I would suspect the dealer would have added spoliers and rallys before a steering wheel..neither of those were on the car when the OO bought it..he had them added..Also he mentioned the window sticker listed all the options and he personally checked them off, as a buddy had a Road Runner which he didn't check off and was missing somethings..

The car is currently in western PA I think and should be finished or close to it..maybe Jerry M. can shed soem light..the last I heard it was owned by a guy named Greg as well..(ironically as well) 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 03:59:22 AM by gman »

gman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 03:56:43 AM »
BTW..when was the wheel released? just a thought..if the car has a body build of 02B or D (last 8 should be N9508699)  is it posible car was held back as it was a L78 and possibly some options weren't available..hence the car was actually assembled later than the cowl tag would suggest?

If I'm not mistaken the engine assemble date was pretty close to the cowl date..VIN stamped by oil filter of course..

just an honest really nicely optioned car...wish I still had it..:)  heard the owner wants stupid money...(well over 100k last I heard..no paperwork, wrong trans..but real) IF it can even be bought...

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 10:40:58 AM »
if the car has a body build of 02B or D (last 8 should be N9508699) 

Whats this number?  Its not a body number, and its not an 02B or D Norwood VIN number, its a September of 68 VIN.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

gman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 11:01:24 AM »
if the car has a body build of 02B or D (last 8 should be N9508699) 

Whats this number?  Its not a body number, and its not an 02B or D Norwood VIN number, its a September of 68 VIN.

Sorry I think I transposed a few of the numbers..the last 8 of the VIN should be 9N608599...hopefully that corrleates to a Feb '69 VIN..I am going from memory and I haven't owned it in over 13 years...

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 01:46:39 PM »
I just sold a 69 Camaro with a comfort grip wheel. It was documented by the orig window sticker.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 01:48:46 PM »

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 01:59:37 PM »
Talk about loaded !
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B