Author Topic: I need a cross ram intake for a dz 302  (Read 16563 times)

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Re: I need a cross ram intake for a dz 302
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 03:28:09 PM »
I do agree totally that the cross ram is impressive. I just do not see why someone would pay two arms and half a leg for a GM setup that is not original. Now if the person buying believed that it was original equipment, I could see where they would be convinced that they need the GM setup. And perhaps, that is who is paying these prices. There is certainly a lot of info along with people out there who are at least implying that these were original equipment, dealer installed, etc.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 03:35:50 PM »
A cross-ram setup is great for "bling" on cruise night, but that's about it. They were designed for max power production from 4000 rpm up at WOT, but tuning them for normal street use is a nightmare; off-idle transitions and part-throttle driveability is terrible. But, some guys just "gotta have it", even though not one Camaro was ever built with it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 04:31:15 PM »
Have not had any street car Z28s with a crossram that could out run my stock '68 Z28 or Gary Sommer's 69 Day Two 1-4bbl Z28.  When one will run in the high 12's with closeed exhaust and street tires, let me know.

Jerry

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 01:09:51 AM »
I agree with the "impressive-ness factor" with the Xram....

Jerry hit the nail on the head, I was at an indoor car show with my car and got beat by a "X ram-mobile"....

The car had nothing special about it except for the Xram....

All the Camaro guys knew who would win....it was a second place run-off.

Besides....the guy who owned the car was a real "Richard Cranium". ::)

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 01:32:00 AM »
I'm with jdv69z.  I understand that some original, rare part, is rare, but to spend $20k on something that didn't come on the car????????????
68Z28

red69

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2007, 06:47:57 PM »
I have run a crossram on my car since 1983. It has tubing headers, 140 cam and 4.10 gears. I totally agree that the 1/4 mile performance and street drivability are not as good as the single four set-up. But,there is something about opening all eight barrels at 4000 RPM in low gear and winding it through the gears. It pulls pretty hard up there. I was able to get it to idle at 900 RPM, this combo seems to like a little race gas mixed with super unleaded. My opinion on the cross-ram may be slanted due to the fact I have only put 4000 miles on the car in the last 25 years and I paid $600.00 dollars for the set-up in 1976. If I drove alot I would put the single four back on. But for an occasional summer driver I love it.
   Pat

COPO427

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2007, 04:30:15 PM »
I have a Hi Performance cars mag that has an article about the cross ram. They do a test with it at Motion performance. Funny as they (the editors and car owner) were complaining about how much the set-up costs.. $600.. without labor!!

They go on to say that this setup runs almost as good as a 427. Wow.
Neat article. Has a few pics of Motions shop and some street hot rods.