Author Topic: Aluminum valve covers  (Read 19805 times)

69Z28X33

• View Profile
Re: Aluminum valve covers
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 02:05:29 PM »
Thanks Dave, You're a find fellow.
Your intake looks nice, is it powder coated, and if it is how does it react to a small fuel leakage.

P.S. Maybe if I'm close to Little Rock sometimes I'll come by your place to chat awhile.
      I heard there was a good chrome shop there, I need my bumpers redone.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 02:24:59 PM by 69Z28X33 »

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 02:46:50 PM »
I am back from my road trip. 

We use a vibratory tumbler system do restore all amuminum parts.  This gives you the best results and will last the longest in appearance too.  Once they're restored, you only need a can of syray brake clean and a paper towel to clean them.  Just wipe them down every once and a while.  That is the other great part of having valve covers restored by us.  Very easy maintainance for years to come and they will look perfect for a long time.  And the price is very reasonable in today's world of $3.00 a gallon gas, $95 plus shipping to restore a pair of any small block valve covers.

I should also point out that when parts are glass beaded, they look good for a very short time.  Dust, dirt and finger prints will stick to the parts because the media disturbs the original petina of the surface.  Even using scotch brite pads and steel wool will not correct these issues or make them whole again.  We have done thousands of valve covers over the years and never had an unsatisified customer.  Our process is also NCRS accepted.  We actually restore more Corvette valve covers than we do Camaro covers!

Jerry 

69Z28X33

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 03:09:21 PM »
Thanks for the info Jerry
I also have a alu. intake that is in good shape except the front passenger side bolting ear was cracked and me being a welder with a alu. mig gun, repaired it about 1985. My engine is completly restored so I test ran it last month and I checked the repair area out on my intake and it seemed to have a little white chalkie apparence. I beleive it is a leak. I've seen your work on repairing intakes and it is fantastic. I would like to have some sort of idea of the cost to restore it.
I have a 4779-2 holley carb, I havn't desided what to do about it yet.
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 03:26:51 PM by 69Z28X33 »

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 06:39:55 PM »
Jerry, could you give the shipping address, and how you want to be paid?  Also what's the time frame?  I'm packing them this weekend.
Joe
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 08:06:24 PM »
Joe,

TAR is running about two weeks now due to the holidays.  We will bill you when the job is done.  Just make sure that you send your name, address and phone number.  Link for address is listed here below.

Jerry

http://www.z28camaro.com/restosvcs.html

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 08:09:33 PM »
Thanks Jerry!  They will go out before the week is out.  Joe
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 07:23:45 AM »
I should also point out that when parts are glass beaded, they look good for a very short time.  Dust, dirt and finger prints will stick to the parts because the media disturbs the original petina of the surface.  Even using scotch brite pads and steel wool will not correct these issues or make them whole again.

Just thought I would mention that all the parts I have done over the years have stayed clean.  In the event of fuel/oil/coolant leaks, cleanup has always been very easy.

My torq-thrusts have been driven on regularly for a few years now.  Dirt, gravel, mud, rain, they still look good.  Maybe Ive just been lucky.

Jerry: what media do you use in your tumbler for VCs and intakes?
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 04:22:54 PM »
I just got my Valve covers back from Jerry!  WoW!  They are just the prettiest things!  What a complement to the rest of the detail on the engine!  Thanks Jerry!!!
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 06:12:26 PM »
Thanks!  We appreciate the comments.

Jerry

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 01:48:50 AM »
I just got my covers on that Jerry restored for me!  The crowning touch don't you think?
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 10:13:31 PM »
Jerry does nice work!!
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

anything