Author Topic: red hockey stripe on 69 and hounds tooth  (Read 16519 times)

black69

• View Profile
    • my_car
Re: red hockey stripe on 69 and hounds tooth
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 12:36:58 AM »
I had the car on display at chevy vettefest and had the stripe authenticated as factory original (a guy from 'stencil and stripes' looked at it and it has the hardly ever seen 1" tics in the paint running along it which match the original stencils). That was cool, I never noticed it until he pointed it out to me, that's how he tells if its original fast. So the red stripe is original as applied by GM.

I had one guy that has a real 375hp 4 spd convertible in triple black (the holy grail in my opinion) show me his car was originally a white stripe on a bunch of pictures when it was original. He said in his travels of being seriously into these cars for 30yrs, he has never seen a triple black w/ red stripe (heard about one, but never saw one). His car followed the factory docs. He had a documented car. I thought if a triple black coupe was to have had a red stripe instead of white, why not a convertible? he has a white stripe...
Black 69L78. 4:10, RS/SS/ZL2, 'black painted tail panel different than body','red hockey stripe w/ v-top exception'
Blue 68Z28. 4:10, Kustom 'tunnel tube' headers, Nickey sold.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 07:58:59 AM »
Because the rules for vinyl top cars were different from convertibles. Go figure......

Can you post a pic of the stipe ticks? I'm not quite following....
Kurt S
CRG

black69

• View Profile
    • my_car
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 03:00:33 PM »
Kurt, I will after turkey day. 

In the mean time, picture this. On the back of the original stencil, there is a break every inch in the sticky material. So picture a vertical line every inch on the back of the stencil that has no sticky material at all. So I guess what happens is the paint wicks (or drips down) into that void, leaving these pin head size marks along the horizontal edge of the stripe, running the full length of the stripe. The pin head size drips repeat on the money, every inch. Find one, you know where to look for the next.

I don't know if they did that serating of the sticky material to help get it to pull off better, I don't know. I believe new stencils don't have that discontinuity in the sticky material so you can't or won't get these marks anymore.

bob

Black 69L78. 4:10, RS/SS/ZL2, 'black painted tail panel different than body','red hockey stripe w/ v-top exception'

black69

• View Profile
    • my_car
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 04:44:32 AM »
finally took a few pictures tonight, the marks show up as liitle dots all along the edge of the stripe from the stencil. These marks are all over the stripe, but in this pic they show up on the bottom edge of the bottom stripe, very hard to photograph:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3010288&a=32237566&p=76094359&f=0

lgslone

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 11:57:26 PM »
does anyone know if a code 71 69 ss came with a black hockey stripe or were all white stripes

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 01:57:10 AM »
White if there is no vinyl top. See http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#ExteriorColors
Kurt S
CRG

lgslone

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 02:25:25 AM »
thanks kurts  i was hoping for black but thats ok

anything