Author Topic: ZL-2 original air cleaner value?  (Read 3824 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
ZL-2 original air cleaner value?
« on: November 03, 2007, 04:09:58 AM »
I was at super chevy last weekend and was speaking to a guy that is big on collecting original 69 Camaros.  We were talking about my air cleaner as I have an original 69 Pace Car with all of the original air cleaner with Auto ThermAC.  He advised me that my air cleaner was worth about $2,500 and he has known people to pay almost as much as this for just the base alone.  He further advised me that GM did not make many of these and the repro ones are not the same.  Is there any truth to this as I found it quite incredible.  For a moment I was even considering selling mine as I didn't think the aftermarket ones were all that bad.  Are these that rare and worth that much?

Steve

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: ZL-2 original air cleaner value?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 11:55:10 AM »
Steve, yes, they are rare, but $2500 sounds a little high.  The auto version of the base is not reproed and you can tell a repro pretty quick.  If it is original to the car keep it!

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: ZL-2 original air cleaner value?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 03:28:40 PM »
There were initially 3 versions of the ducted hood air cleaner for Camaro:

SS-350/manual-no snorkel valve, 3/4" vent tube
SS-350/automatic-has snorkel vave, 3/4" vent tube
Z/28 & all bbs: no valve 1" vent tube.

Later in the model year the base was modified to add the bead around the bottom.

Of these the 350/auto probably is the hardest to find. Someone just bought one off ebay for less than $100. That was a steal but $2500 is hard to believe.
Learning more and more about less and less...