Author Topic: NEED HELP PLEASE "Fuse Block 1968"  (Read 18648 times)

chevysscamaro68

• View Profile
NEED HELP PLEASE "Fuse Block 1968"
« on: January 09, 2006, 05:22:55 AM »
Would anyone have a picture, or take a picture of their 68' fuse block, some of the descriptions and what size fuses are very hard to read on mine.
I am hooking up an aftermarket radio, and I have blown 2 fuses, seperate ones, radio, and lighter, I believe. Any idea why they would blow? I have disconnected the neg. terminal on battery before hooking anything up. I had used a test light to check what was constant hot, and ign. hot.

In the center of the fuse block, there is 3 or 4 prongs where you can plug a quick connect to, if I read correctly , one was Batt. , another was acc., but when I checked them, with and without key on neither were hot, shouldn't the battery one be hot constantly, and the acc. one be hot with ign. to on? I wanted to use the quick connects in those two places, but didn't get any power. So where would you hook your always hot wire, and the one for ign.? I do have the old style buss fuse block.

I know the easy way would go with Painless wireing, but cannot afford that at this time.

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated..

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: NEED HELP PLEASE "Fuse Block 1968"
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 06:06:13 PM »
I THINK this photo is of a '68 fuse block (the '69 has the upper wiper and heater fuses reversed from this one); if you have no power in the center power takeoff cavities (Batt, Ign, Acc), I suspect you have a broken buss bar inside the fuse block (probably corrosion).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

chevysscamaro68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 07:30:18 PM »
Thanks JohnZ, are new fuse blocks available for purchase? And if so does the large bunch of wires that come into it, plug in?

chevysscamaro68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 07:41:15 PM »
In the picture, the very bottom little fuse holder, what is inst.-lps. ?

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 09:05:16 PM »
The instr. lamp fuse is for the instrument lights. The brightness is controlled with the headligt switch. You can dim, or brighten the dash lights by turning the headlight switch knob.

Fireman John
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

chevysscamaro68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 09:22:47 PM »
My IGN. is hot with key on, (w/light tester), the Batt. and ACC, cannot get it to light up either way.
And the clock, lighter : when I put a fuse in it , it blows out instantly, any suggestions?

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 09:51:47 PM »
  The clock and lighter are on the same fuse circuit. Check the hot wire going to the lighter and make sure it's not grounded somewhere on the metal dash. As for the terminals not having voltage, I would pull the fuse panel, and check the back of the panel and see if you have voltage on that side of it. Two small screws on it on. You can check the clock and lighter circuit with it off to test which side has the problem too.
    If you don't already have one, you will need a volt-omh meter, which will save you from replacing blown fuses.

Fireman John
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

chevysscamaro68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 10:17:09 PM »
On the back of the lighter, how many wires plug into the back, there  was two yellow wires , both with black end caps, one round, one like a flat connecter, both were unhooked before I had this problem, I hooked the rounded one to the stem that sticks directly out the back of the lighter, then the flat one to a flat prong that is directly below and connected to the back of the lighter. Is this right? At one point I did have the lighter working.
Also something that just happened, last night I had the underdash light working, and going off when I shut the door, now it just stays on. Someone before me had rigged it just to plug in under one of the fuses, which was working last night like I said , and now it's not. I will check the back of the fuse block.
With a volt/ohm meter, how many volts should that be?? 12?

chevysscamaro68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 01:53:54 AM »
Make that one yellow wire(one w/flat connecter), and the orange wire, which I was told for the lighter, does it plug it in the back like I described above on the stem sticking out the center of the lighters cylinder?

chevysscamaro68

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 01:54:29 AM »
Oh, and what is the yellow wire for???

anything