Author Topic: Buying a Camaro accross the country...  (Read 8165 times)

onlytherich68

• View Profile
Buying a Camaro accross the country...
« on: October 17, 2007, 12:36:38 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm buying a 68 camaro convertible from accross the country and sending a shipping company to pick it up. how do I protect myself from getting ripped off? I'm not so much worried about him misrepresenting the vehicle as we have talked extensively about the condition. My real worry is that I send him the money and maybe he doesn't really have the car. What is the best way to go about this?
Tony

Brandan

• 1969 Camaro SS 396 X-66 M22
    • View Profile
    • 1969 Camaro 396 SS M22
Re: Buying a Camaro accross the country...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 01:19:45 PM »
Tony, as you know with the good stuff that comes with the internet there is also the bad....If you are serious about the car I personally would make the trip myself to check out the car.  What the seller thinks of the car might be entirely different fromwhat you think of it.  Pictures can only go so far (condition).  With airfares being low nowadays I would buy a ticket and go.  If this thing is a dud you want to know before you give out some cash.  Think of how much money you are going to spend.  If you cannot possible fly to go see it than have it inspected and roll the dice.  There is no 100% way to know you will be happy with it without you inspecting it personally.  If you don't go you will be taking a chance.  goodluck and let us know what you decide.  Where is the car and where are you at?  how much is the car?

Brandan- 
Check out the 1969 ride!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676916/1

Check out the new project!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2960049

onlytherich68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 01:42:48 PM »
I know I am taking a chance but it is a project car. There are rusty panels and the floorboards are already cut out. The car is not running. I anticipate replacing flloors, both passenger and trunk, quarters and wheelhouses. Probably fenders. The frame rails and rockers are good. I live in Alabama and the car is up in Maryland. It has a motor and trans and is basically a complete project car. Not bad for $3500. I cant really see booking a flight and taking off work for a cheap project like this. I just don't want to lose my money on a non-existing car. Am I being too trusting on this one?

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 04:08:47 PM »
Tony: Check with the shipping company, some of them will pay the owner for you when they pick-up the car. No risk if you can trust the shipping company.
Sam

69 Z11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:31:05 PM »
Here's something you can't get in pictures:  Smell.  We bought a Camaro in 2001 on Ebay, looked great, low miles, plenty of docs.  Decided to just have it shipped since everything looked good.  When it came off the transporter, we were so happy until we opened the door and the smell of urine poured out.  There was a mouse nest under the back seat and in the cowl.  In hindsite, we were happy that we actually got a car at all, because if a guy is a big enough scumbag to not tell you something like that, anything goes.

If you're paying very much for the car, I have to say fly out and look it over, and take a good whiff, based on my experience.
69 Z11
97 30th SS
Huggers at the Car Show

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 02:42:10 AM »
Don't you know anyone that lives close and you trust to look with YOUR interest in mind?
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 10:43:43 AM »
What state is the car in?

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

onlytherich68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 03:48:33 PM »
The car is in Maryland.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 03:58:58 PM »
The car is in Maryland.

Tony -

You're in luck!  Jerry McNeish lives and works in Maryland!  Call him and have him check out the car for you...  http://www.z28camaro.com/consvcs.html

Paul

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 02:10:14 AM »
Can't do better than that!
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 12:34:54 AM »
Tony,

Jerry is definitely the best way to go. If Jerry is too busy or you can't wait for him, send me a note. The MD Camaro Club is very active (Jerry is a member) and someone in the club may may know about the car or we can check it out for you.

Best of luck,

John
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

onlytherich68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 07:57:09 PM »
It is in LaPlata Maryland. I will get the address.

anything