Poll

Generally, what is your top mph when you drive your Camaro?

0 = It's still in a box or on blocks...
8 (11.8%)
Less than 20 = Or how fast it takes to get it on and off the trailer to the show field...
0 (0%)
20 to 35 =Cruising downtown...
5 (7.4%)
35 to 55 = Out to the highway doing double nickels like back in the day...
15 (22.1%)
55 to 70 = Cruising? Hey, I'm on the Interstate and it's time to pass...
21 (30.9%)
70+ = As fast as she'll go in a quarter mile!!!
19 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: How FAST Do You Drive?  (Read 38611 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: How FAST Do You Drive?
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2008, 11:57:38 PM »
Hey Newbies, vote and post your story...  ;D

How fast do you drive?  Or for that matter, how slow do you drive?  I'm trying to get a picture of our driving "style"...

You checked in all directions and no cops around...     ;)
But you love your First Gen Camaro and wouldn't want to do her any harm...     :)
Where do you ease off the gas?     
 ???  ???  ???
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2008, 04:20:29 AM »
Right now - I"m going nowhere fast -My baby is on blocks with the entire front clip off and most of the interior removed

Back in the day (1994) - I drove her hard -I had modified the cam, intake, exhaust, carb and was running a HEI setup. On a lonely night I drove towards Vegas and found there is no pin at the end of the speedo only one at the beginning - she was pegged
 ;D Took her to the long lost Carlsbad Speedway and would bracket race. My reaction time was really bad as I had to keep a foot on the gas and on the brake to keep her from stalling.
Stopped driving her in 96 due to CA emission regulations. She sat in a yard until 2003 when I bought a house.
Chris
69 SS 350

69houdini

• 69 SS X55 Butternut Vert / 68 Z28 Rally Green
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2008, 05:32:36 AM »
Hey, we all got stories. My first camaro was a 68 350 auto with 373 rearend. Gas cost 79cents a gal. Hell, I was on it all the time! One late nite after swing shift I was tired and onery and came off the light smokin rubber L60 15s through 1st and 2nd screamin 6500-6800 rpm let up about 1/8 mile saw the flashing lights and said !(*^%$#$%! The officer stated  " Decided to let all your ponies gallup at once eh?" I said yeah you got me, rough nite tonite. He noticed my address was 2 blocks away and said " Take em on home and put em away." Cool cop, I watched it a bit closer after that nite. My latest purchase is a 69 SS X55 Convertible. No plans to light em up, just do some topless cruisin.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2008, 12:08:25 PM »
In 1969 I was still buying premium gas for 25 cents.  Of course the value of my car then has gone up over ten-fold...  :o
Chris, mine is sitting and slowly... getting body work done.  I feel your "pain"...  ;)
69houdini, love that butternut vert!  ;D

Vote and post!

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2008, 02:42:44 AM »
My only pain - is the cash needed to replace parts - the majority of the front end was damaged. I am restoring her to a #s matching original (with the dealer added stripe). I have most of the original parts. I got a big boost over the weekend when I found and verified the trans vin stamping.
One of my neighbors also has a 69 camaro, he is going the complete opposite route. Big HP. We both have a goal as to when we want to be done. I would like to be done by 2013 - I still want to be young enough to enjoy the beautiful blue smoke that comes off of a pair of polyglas tires
As for gas I remeber buying super for less than $1 and only being able to fill the tank 3/4 of the way due to a crack in the gas tank at the filler neck.

I could spend all night reminscing
Chris
Chris
69 SS 350

seeburg220

• 1959 Seeburg Model 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2008, 10:41:52 PM »
I had a '68 RS 327 in high school and college.  It never saw past 85mph; that was just me.  I liked going 0-60 much more than seeing how fast it would go. I do have one of those dumb-S%^ stories, though:

One Friday night, myself and a few other motorheads were loitering in the Univerity Mall parking lot in Fairfax, VA.  Smoking cigarettes, blaring music, couple of girlfriends - good times.  So this idiot in a car I don't remember, comes ripping around the corner and almost hits us.  Of course 17-year old testosterone kicked-in, and we took off after the guy.  It had rained, so the roads were slick...

I'm in the lead, and have caught up to him on this windy road.  I had skinnier tires on the front, and I looked down for just a second and when I looked back at the road, the right front tire had gone off of the pavement and onto the shoulder (which is a joke in VA, as they don't have shoulders, they have ditches).    When I went to correct back to the road, I over-compensated, and all 4 tires broke traction, as I went into a diagonal slide going up around a curve.  On pure instinct or luck,  I felt I was about ready to plow into the berm on the other side of the road, so I whipped the steering wheel around, and ended up doing a 180.  In the span of 5 seconds I guess, I was going the opposite direction.  My buddies passed me in their cars about 2 seconds after that....Later on, they were like "how the heck did you turn around so fast!?"  One of my friends who had been riding shotgun (and had had a few beers), thought I had done it on purpose.  He was like  "YA, that was great!!!"   I almost crapped my pants !

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2008, 11:07:31 PM »
OK, you win the best story yet award!  Being in school, I'll bet you told everyone, "Oh yes, I meant to do that!  Teach that guy to mess with us..."

seeburg220

• 1959 Seeburg Model 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2008, 12:59:44 PM »
OK, you win the best story yet award!  Being in school, I'll bet you told everyone, "Oh yes, I meant to do that!  Teach that guy to mess with us..."

Being a knuckle-head, I probably did play it cool and say "ya, no biggie".    My wife (then girlfriend at the time) was reminding me the other day of when the windshield wipers gave out while going down the highway.  Totally obscured vision, so I rolled the window down, stuck my head out the window, and kept on driving!  A lot of good times with that car :)    Hey, I just clicked on your photo link, and your '68 is beautiful!   Really really nice looking.   It has really got me wanting another '68 again.   If I can sell my '70 Corvette for a decent price, I'll be back in the game with a '68 RS.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2008, 10:20:42 PM »
Thanks!, Seeburg220. Nice to have another 68 fan in the forum.  If I can ever get the work done, I hope to drive it to my high school reunion this Fall.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2008, 01:53:28 AM »
I also did the head out the window thing when the wiper motor failed in a snow storm.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2008, 03:43:42 PM »
I once drove my 68 SS home from college in a snow storm.  The windshield didn't clear up for about 30 miles.   I had asmall hole about the size of a hand that I was looking through to drive and it was on semi packed snow.  I think I was levitating on the seat or sucking the vinyl off it.  I look over to see how nervous my room mate was and he was asleep.  Go figure.
68Z28

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2008, 01:20:39 PM »
Anyway, the question is "How fast do you drive?" --Trying to find out "how" we drive...

Vote and post...

CanCam68

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2008, 02:13:31 AM »
IMHO, I Think that Cam drivers tend to drive just a little more within the confines of the posted speeds as we have more to lose...but there are those straight stretches that we know radar can't be set up, and we... tend to push it, right?  Nothing like listening to the roar of that V-8 as you bury the needle!  But, in Canada, they call it stunting/racing and they impound your car on the spot for a week, and you face a huge fine (if 50KM=30 mph, over the limit).  Welcome to the mellineum.

CanCam68

motion427

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2008, 02:56:25 AM »
ive gotten my 427 to a quick 100 and it was tight, didnt feel spooked about bein light in rear end at all. even at 100 she was pulling like holly monkey! no mods either, no subframes no special shockes. just good ol camaro engineering. dont get me wrong, that 427 with an M21 and 410s wants to tweak and twist the nose off for sure! and when it cracked my windshield doing that, it all made sense!!
69 L88 CAMARO

anything