Author Topic: Build sheet on gas tank  (Read 4608 times)

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Build sheet on gas tank
« on: September 29, 2007, 01:00:09 AM »
I have heard of some finding the build sheet on top of the gas tank on some Camaros. The tank on mine has never been off the car, and so I'm curious about finding it (the build sheet). Is there any way to determine if it is there short of removing the tank? If not, I won't worry about it, cause I'm not removing the tank just to check.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

tim69camaro

• View Profile
Re: Build sheet on gas tank
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 01:43:46 AM »
There are some other posts that have discussed this in the past. From what I recall from thoe postings, the cars with a L in the VIN have a good chance of the build sheet on top of the tank. The N VIN cars built in Norwood Ohio don't. You may want to do a search for prior posts on the subject. I pulled my fuel tank out anyway just to check and turned up nothing. If you find it, post a photo.
Tim Bailey

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 02:48:11 AM »
One other option is to buy from a local auto parts store, a mechanics mirror on a telescoping rod.  Jack up the rear of the car (safely supported with jack stands!), craw under the back and use the mirror with a flash light to get a peek along the top side of the tank, in the area between the top of the tank and the bottom of the car.

If you loosen the two tank strap nuts on the long studs, you may be able to pull the tanks downward an inch or so to get a better look.

It true and what I have heard also.  Very few Norwood built cars had build sheet found it them, but then again, I have now idea what percentage had them but it worth the look for yours

Good luck with this treasure hunt! 

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 06:20:20 PM »
Gas tank sheet are a LOS thing. If you have a NOR car, it wont be there.
I found mine on the drivers side front corner. If you look through the wheel well you can see the top of the tank. You can see it better if you loosen the bolts on the tanks straps and lower it a bit. Shine a flashlight in there and see if you see anyhting.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 06:33:28 PM »
It is a Norwood Car, so I might look next time I'm working the area, but I'm not going to make it a special job. Thanks for the replies

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.