Author Topic: 302- Finally!  (Read 5793 times)

olympic69

• View Profile
302- Finally!
« on: September 25, 2007, 03:56:24 AM »
I purchased my 1969 Z28 back in 1984, and promptly put it into storage- for a long time after driving it once ( the motor was basically dead, Etc). Finally, after a career ending injury ( paid firefighter), marriage, a couple of moves and some other "stuff", I got the thing running and was actually able to drive the car again yesterday. Only 23 years, right!!! 11:1 302, Mech cam, 2.20 Muncie with 4.10:1 rear- what a wait it has been after all the posts here and there...anyway, I want to thank Jerry MacNeish for the excellent work on my DZ Holley, and for rebuilding and recurving my distributor. Its not all about parts looking good- which they do- but also the performance potential of having these important parts blueprinted and optimized for the 302. I am running pump premium, no additives- no problem.  Jerry, JohnZ, PDQ and many others offer great advice Ref setting these cars up. For now, until I get some more shake down runs done and get it licensed again, I am impressed with the little 302- and I feel pretty confident I will be happy with its ultimate performance. Thanks again to those who take the time to help others realize their dreams by posting here ( and there), offering essential services, and a friendly chat as needed. If your building a 302, follow the posts from these guys and you should be smiling too. 
Rob
Olympic Gold X33

"Its all crazy..."

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
Re: 302- Finally!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 02:14:34 PM »
Great news olympic. I agree 100% on the 302. I also have an 11:1, Crane 30-30, curved distributor w/ full vacuum advance, ACR45 plugs and re-jetted carb. For the people that say these little engines won't run right on the street with pump premium, you are wrong. I run just fine in town in 4th turning 2000 RPM. I t will accelerate just fine from that point. I run Thorley headers because I think that is really what that engine needs.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

olympic69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 06:39:52 PM »
Thanks Gary- lots of good Info here, free of charge!!!

Rob
Rob
Olympic Gold X33

"Its all crazy..."

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 07:58:45 PM »
If you are not doing anything, you can swing by the Lake Grapevine Staurday. :)
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 08:24:22 PM »
Ditto for my 302 as well;  I am using Champiion RJ12YC plugs, and they seem to work better for me than AC's although it is just my impression. No scientific data to prove it.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

fireZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 10:25:52 PM »
I too am a 21 year member of the cities fulltime fire dept. We have 6 first gen camaros amoungst us at work. My 302 runs great with the ACs and high test pump gas. these 302s are an absoulute blast to drive and tease other drivers on the street. Enjoy your car you deserve it.
1968 Z28 LA Built
LIC # RPO Z28

olympic69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 09:26:19 PM »
I too am a 21 year member of the cities fulltime fire dept. We have 6 first gen camaros amoungst us at work. My 302 runs great with the ACs and high test pump gas. these 302s are an absoulute blast to drive and tease other drivers on the street. Enjoy your car you deserve it.

Thanks for the comments- I hired in, in 1988, promoted to Lt for 9 years, then had a heat stroke after 15 years of service- good bye fire service. Lot of talk honoring PS employees by municipalities after 911- but after my injury I apparently became a "liability" to my employer- a story which plays out much too often. Many firefighters have the moto "whatever it takes...", which includes the ultimate sacrifice if needed- so please guys and gals-please honor those who keep us safe- Its the real deal. And stay safe Bro' fireZ.

Best-   
Rob
Olympic Gold X33

"Its all crazy..."