Author Topic: Stripe color for 68 0-6  (Read 6716 times)

ccargo

• View Profile
Stripe color for 68 0-6
« on: September 21, 2007, 05:11:43 PM »
I just want to be sure I'm doing the right color stripe combinations for my two 68 SS 0-6 Corvette Bronze\white vinyl top combinations. I read where three color combinations were effected by top color regarding the stripe applied in 68 but could not figure out from the table provided what combinations those are? I've already painted the stripe black on one but am in the paint booth now on the second car and would like to be certain I dont make a mistake twice. Both of these cars had black stripes when I bought them but both had been painted before so I'm not 100% certain?
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: Stripe color for 68 0-6
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 01:34:55 AM »
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#ExteriorColors
Start here, looks like black to me. What does the trim tag say?

Also if you havent already call GM and ask for the info pack to learn more about the options:

A: If you own a US-built car, call the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 800.222.1020 (toll-free US number), tell them you are restoring an early Camaro, and would like some data to help your labor of love. They will request your VIN, and then ship you a package of documentation that includes a detailed and extremely (though not perfectly) accurate specification of that year Camaro and the options. This, unfortunately, does not include option or configuration information on your exact unit (see the Car History FAQ), but it is free! And it is worthwhile.

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

JohnKY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 08:35:46 PM »
I can't find any info. to indicate that the stripes should be anything but black w/Corvette Bronze.

The two 68 stripe colors that were dictated by top color were Matador Red, and LeMans Blue.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 10:31:07 PM »
Since you are in the paint booth, the GM info. that Tom mentioned says on page
18--Camaro      Color and Trim Selections     Revised January, 1968 [so it does have Corvette Bronze]:

Corvette Bronze     OO  Sport Accents [Striping] Black

The choice of O-6 with a vinyl top (black) is interesting.  Post us a picture...

Do call and get the info.  I agree with Tom that it is well worth it.  It is B&W copies, so you cannot tell anything from pictures and a few of the pages are hard to read... But it is free!  Some of the stuff is what's in Illustrated Facts (which does have clearer pages, but still B&W), but it also has all kinds of info. from the AMA Specifications.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 10:01:50 PM »
I'll post photos of both this week. Keep in mind this combination is corvette bronze with a "white" vinyl top. This is why I question the "black" stripe package as a certainty. These two cars are both April LOS factory A/C cars one being an L48 with black/white houndstooth and the other an L35 RS with white deluxe interior.
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 01:14:48 AM »
We also cover this on page 125 in our 67-68 Z28 Camaro fact book.  Corvette bronze cars only received black stripes.

Jerry

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 03:35:09 AM »
I had a 68 ss in high school.  It had been repainted, but it had the original white vinyl top on it and when I repainted the car I found the Corvette Bronze under the old paint and some black stripes.
68Z28