Author Topic: Dying a vinyl roof  (Read 12433 times)

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
Dying a vinyl roof
« on: September 16, 2007, 09:53:38 PM »
I was at a car show this weekend and I brought along the samples of the original color of the vinyl roof for my car to see if any of the restoration companies that were at the show might have access to the material and color. The color is Tan/Fawn Beige for a 67 Camaro. 2 of the 3 companies I spoke with not only stated they could get the material and color but asked if I ever considered dying the top I have on the car now (off white). They stated they have done this in the past with great results and the dye would last about 4-5 years at a fraction of the cost to replace the top. Any body ever do this or have seen results of someone else that did this?

Dave

Brandan

• 1969 Camaro SS 396 X-66 M22
    • View Profile
    • 1969 Camaro 396 SS M22
Re: Dying a vinyl roof
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 02:04:35 AM »
I have never done this but I have had leather dyed.  I would be very careful, the leather I had dyed actually ran after a while.  Not saying it isn't impossible but be careful.  Also if you are not going to replace your own vinly top be careful and find a decent shop that will do it.  It took me three months to find one in my area.  A lot of places will put the top on and then cut it with a razor blade after it is on.  Nothing really wrong with that but all it takes is a slip- of the razor blade and going into the paint and welcome to rust cuty in about three years.    Alos take the roof down to the metal and treat it, epoxy prime.  In a few years you will be happy you did.  It may cost a bit more but in the long run you will be happier.....

good luck!
 :) :)
Check out the 1969 ride!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676916/1

Check out the new project!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2960049

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:54:18 PM »
Dave,

So what does it cost?  Four to five years is not a long time on a classic.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 12:22:28 AM »
Phillip:

Cost to dye the vinyl is between $250 and $300. To purchase the orginal color vinyl roof Tan/Fawn Beige,which is really sharp looking against the Plum color of my car,$375.00 plus shipping. To remove the vinyl roof now on and to repair or replace any metal if needed and prep the roof to receive the new vinyl top,,,,,,,,,,,, no clue!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is my dilemma, how far do I go with this knowing my car is not numbers matching?

Dave

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 01:31:05 AM »
You said it! Real tough question to answer.

I'm about to sell my 2002 and put the money into my 68.  I'm going to talk to three restorers and see what it will take to get back to original or at least to where I want it to be.  If I find it will take more than it is worth, then the question becomes "How much do you love this particular car?"

Your top is probably original, what do the edges, especially along the back window, look like?

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 09:07:25 PM »
Phillip:

The edges of the vinyl roof along the window trim  both front and rear is in good condition. There are no physical signs of bubbling or lifting of the top anywhere that I or the two restorers could see. That is one of the reasons they suggested dying the top. You always take the chance of finding something you don't want to find when you remove the vinyl. But that is like anything else on these 40 year old cars. And like you said, 5 years is not a long time for something to last on these cars. I guess this is a subject I will mill over for the next few months. Once the car is put up for the winter I will make a decision. There a couple items I am replacing for sure this winter, the radiator, get one with more cores, the brakes, shocks, maybe the power brake booster and possibly the mono leafs. I have a slight sag on the left side of the car. New shocks in the rear may correct this.

Good Luck on your Endeavor!!

Dave

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 03:31:30 PM »
Here hopefully, is a picture showing the vinyl roof I have now on my car with a sample of the original color vinyl roof. The picture was taken from the rear window to show the color of the car also with the white stripes on the trunk lid.

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 03:36:23 PM »
Here are pictures of my car. So what do you think? Do I replace the vinyl roof with the  original color tan/fawn beige or do I have it dyed?

Brandan

• 1969 Camaro SS 396 X-66 M22
    • View Profile
    • 1969 Camaro 396 SS M22
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 03:25:41 AM »
match the color of the stripes.....It looks like the tan will not match the stripes.  At least that is what I would do.....

nice ride  :)
Check out the 1969 ride!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676916/1

Check out the new project!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2960049

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 01:05:19 PM »
Dave,

You know I would hate to see another original style vinyl top go in the trash pile.  But you have been clear all along that your car is a driver --non-matching.  Your other alternatives to replacing the top is to send a lot more money on repainting or less on dying (which is a short term fix).  Originality is a good thing (always), but it is your car. and you are clear about your intentions. 

Let us know what you do.

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 10:45:12 PM »
Phillip:

And that is my problem! I really like the way the car looks with the vinyl roof that is on the car now tons of compliments where ever we go. And the original color just makes the decision even harder. All three of the restorers that have seen the sample of the Fawn Beige believe I should put that color on the car. They like the way it contrasts with the white stripes. Whether I dye what I have or replace it, all of them are in agreement that if I pull the one I have on now off the car that I put another vinyl roof back on. And unless the cost is so out of whack if I do pull the top off that is what our intentions are.
I would like to hear from some of the other members, come CRG help me out!!!!!

Thanks Phillip, greatly appreciate your thoughts!!!!

Dave

ironman24

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 02:54:56 PM »
From the looks of the sample it looks like that color would be a good contrast with the car color.  I think that would look sharp!! 
BUT... with the white stripes im not sure how it would look.  It might look out of place.
Now if you repainted the stripes to match the new top color......that would look cool!!!!  ;)

As for the dying of the top.  How will this hold up to water?  I know most people dont dirve there cars in the rain, But what if you are out cruising and a rain shower pops up...... will this affect the die?  will it run?

If it was me I might stay with the white top..... but its your car you have to make this hard decision.

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 09:38:23 PM »
Ironman:

Thanks for input and the suggestions. You have to remember, in 67, the stipes I had on my car were not available. The only stripe for 67 for a SS was the bumble across the nose of the car in regards to a broad stripe. And if I remember correctly the only colors available were white or black. So if I were to make it as original as possible I would have to repaint the whole car, put a white or black stripe across the nose and then either dye or replace the vinyl rood. I am not going to repaint the whole car for sure!!!!!!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmm or maybe I will with a black stripe???? ???
Anybody else have any thoughts?

Dave

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 09:39:51 PM »
Ironman:

Forgot to mention,,,, the dye would not be affected by any type of water, rain or washing water.

Thanks again!!

Dave

ironman24

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 07:27:15 PM »
the dye would not be affected by any type of water, rain or washing water.

Well, knowing the wash water or rain will not affect it.  The next thing i would think about is the 4 to 5 years they say it will last.  The way people buy new cars these days 4 to 5 years is a long time. Most people would be on a second car by the 5th year.  But with Classics like ours its a different ball game..... the plan of most people is to keep the car for many many years and enjoy it.  So this brings me to the next question.  Is it worth it if you die the top,  and then come 4 years and you dont like how its starting to look?  Then what..... Die the top again?  Or then install a new top?

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 10:35:40 PM »
Ironman:

Good point and that is one of my concerns. Unless something changes in the near future I plan on keeping the car. If I am going to do anything with the top I will replace it before I dye it. The key factor in that is when I do decide to do it it will all depend on how much work has to be done to the bare metal in order to replace the top. Cost is definetly going to be the driving factor no matter what. And this is because it is not a numbers matching car.

Dave

anything