Author Topic: Air Cond: HC Blends as a Drop-In Replacement for R-12?  (Read 2984 times)

67L48

• View Profile
Air Cond: HC Blends as a Drop-In Replacement for R-12?
« on: September 13, 2007, 10:51:57 PM »
This is a take off of my earlier post regarding upgrading an AC system to R-134a.

There is another option that I just became aware of, though they've been out there for years:  hydrocarbon blends.  RedTek, Enviro-Safe, Duracool, OZ Technologies, etc. all make a similar product that is a blend of propane, butane, and other hydrocarbons.

Obviously, there is a flammability issue that the manufacturers reduce by including retardents into the blends.  The rub is that leaks could affect the blend -- retardants could leak off leaving only the flammable HCs behind.  Let's table this issue.  Please!

There is a major question of legality in the US.  Can't vent any refrigerants.  Also can't upgrade R-12 to anything but R-134a.  In the US, the upgrade path must be R-12 -> R-134a -> HC blend.  There are all kinds of other legal and ethical issues. We can debate the politics of refrigerants, ozone depletion, and global warning.  But, let's not.  There are 5 million discussions on these topics, the legalities of refrigeration servicing, etc.

What I want to know is compatability.  If I put the HC blend into an empty R-12 factory air conditioning unit from 1967, will I damage my original components?

Thanks.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

anything