Author Topic: Missing Trim Tag  (Read 18802 times)

pickelnose

• View Profile
Re: Missing Trim Tag
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 11:22:59 PM »
I say put the tag on.even if its a repop,it will make the car look complete.Im in the same boat as you and im going to get a repop tag for my car.most of the people who look at the car wont know the difference if its real or not.since your not trying to misrepresent the car,I say put it on.thats my opinion.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 01:06:08 AM »
I venture that it's probably not worth putting the tag on it. There's a % of people that know Camaros that would be interested in the car and the tag info. They would know the tag was missing. But a large % would just want a ragtop and they don't know much about Camaros (could have been a Chevelle or something else). They wouldn't care about the tag and would just build the car to what they want.
You'd hate to put in on and then have someone smooth the firewall......

I agree with Kurt on the tag...
It's virtually impossible to know the "worth" of an honest repo. trim tag until you know your buyer.

If you want "yea" or "nay" opinions, add a poll to your thread.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 02:33:53 PM »
You started this post as if you were seeking permission to install the trim tag.  As you know all tags sold are not legitimately used.  Look at the 50,000 1969 Z/28's out now.    As long as your not trying to defraud the buyer of the car, do what you want to with it.  It's yours.

BTW what happened to the original tag?  Is it on another car somewhere? 

Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

gflac

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 04:29:13 PM »
You started this post as if you were seeking permission to install the trim tag.  As you know all tags sold are not legitimately used.  Look at the 50,000 1969 Z/28's out now.    As long as your not trying to defraud the buyer of the car, do what you want to with it.  It's yours.

Actually he didnt ask for "permission", he asked if anyone sees a problem with what he was doing.  Obviously he can do what he wants, I believe he was coming to this site to get the thoughts of people he respects.  The fact that it is a plain jane convertible and he is simply trying to get the proper information onto a repop trim tag seems pretty clear.  From my point of view, putting a correct as possible trim tag back on the car is part of the restoration of the car. 

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 01:17:12 AM »

We bought the car without the trim tag...didn't seem important with what we had planned..the POP was a nice bonus a the time but equally unimportant...your guess is as good as or mavbe better than mine as to where it may now be.

Of course it's my car (well actually, mine and my buddy's) but if I was just going to do what I want why would I be soliciting input form the good folks of this forum?  It's not like I'm trying to defraud anyone.

I wasn't asking for permission but rather for feedback (Gflac has it right)...I was looking for normativie practices.  you  know, like the reason Jerry's books exist and are read and referenced?  Like the reason people ask what's the right number for a '69 power brake booster?  Like what level of gloss shoudl the interior metal parts on a  '67 be painted?  And where to find said product.

Actually, Lakeholme must be psychic as about the same time he wrote his post I was thinking I'd gone about this the wrong way.  I should have started with a poll to see who would and would not replace the tag.

right now it would seem that since it is just a PJ convert that it's not worth  it...this implies that a more desirable car (say a Z/28) should get a replacement tag - but then that begs the question of how shoudl that tag be configured...

does anyone know how I can add a poll to this thread, as lakeholme suggested?  Or will I have to start a new thread?

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 03:06:13 AM »
Click on -new poll-  in the right upper corner of the subject page to start one.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:08:25 AM by WYKOFF69Z »
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 03:31:34 AM »
Click on -new poll-  in the right upper corner of the subject page to start one.
Won't that just start a new thread? Or can it be "linked" to this thread?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 09:50:32 PM »
Flowjoe,

No, not psychic, I deal with thousands of people with differing opinions in my work.  Nowadays, it is hard to get a "clean" yea or nay. 

Actually, we First Generation Camaro lovers are too "new" to the classic car hobby to have worked through this.  Your type of question is something we confront with two basic opinions: no or do what you want.  You ought to talk to some Pre-War car owners, they've dealt with this sort of stuff for a long time.

Good luck!
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 01:36:25 AM »
Ok, heres my opinion.

You have the car, you have a VIN and in my opinion you have another very important document, the POP and they all match. If it was my car I wouldn't add a repop trim tag. I don't believe it's needed.

Rick H.

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 02:41:52 AM »
Well, as you can see, this is sort of a hands off subject.  Too much information to supply to the bad guys out there.  Present company excluded.

If you want a "correct" trim tag, look at the cars on ebay and study their trim tags for a while.  Also, take as many digital images of Camaros at car
shows as you can.  You will eventually back door into what the repro tag needs. 

I know you guys were looking for a definitive answer here, but your own research is going to win the day for you.  JMHO

Nuch
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

69 Z11

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2007, 10:46:10 PM »
Wow, interesting thread.  For what it's worth, here's my take.  I've always kind of been in the "no fake tags" camp but you've really made me think about this.

If you absolutely, positively, knew the body number and X code, and were able to make an exact replacement of the original tag, is there any harm to anyone, anywhere, at anytime?  Only if they are not made aware of the fact that it is a replacement.

On the other hand, if you don't know the number, it's not really an exact replacement, and it never can be no matter how good the fake is.  I understand the aesthetic argument, but I guess the bottom line to me is who are you trying to fool?  Yourself or the buyer?  Please understand this is not an attack or insult, it's a legitamate question.  On my own stuff, I myself want to see the complete picture and can't stand it when something obvious is missing.  So I'll put on a part that isn't right and hope I can find the correct one later.  And it looks better, even though I know it's wrong.

Anyway, after thinking it over, I think I would put on the fake tag if I was keeping the car but would not put it on if I was selling.

Good, thought provoking question though.  Thanks.
69 Z11
97 30th SS
Huggers at the Car Show

anything