CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 02:28:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
106487 Posts in 12420 Topics by 4787 Members
Latest Member: Oilron14
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Maintenance
| | |-+  One Engine, Three Personalities -- rough in gear
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: One Engine, Three Personalities -- rough in gear  (Read 2044 times)
67L48

andy_hach
View Profile Email
« on: August 27, 2007, 08:55:31 AM »

67 original 350 w/ Q-Jet 4bbl.  Powerglide tranny.  Low miles.

Idles fine.  No problem, ever.  Good response to throttle, etc.  Purrs.

When I put it in gear, one of two things happens:  It runs like a champ (like it did all day on Saturday) or it runs like crap (like it did on Sunday -- even heard a backfire).  By "crap," I mean that it feels like only half of the engine is working, it surges and lunges, doesn't want to accelerate, feel like it will flood out, etc.

I'm really confused because of the intermittant behavior.  Literally, from one day to the next the engine goes from perfect to horrible.  I tried to play with the carb air screws, but it's tough to know what to do, because it always idles fine.  Put it into gear and it idles like crap, put it into P and it's all good again.

My first instinct is that it's the engine.  But how could it be the engine -- in park, the engine runs great?!  But, if it's the tranny, how can a tranny lead to the symptoms I'm seeing (including a backfire)?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

K. A. Young
1967 Camaro SS 350
Fort Collins, CO
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »

I'd look for a vacuum leak between the manifold fitting that feeds the modulator, or a leak at the modulator itself.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
tom

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 06:01:36 PM »

Check for a leak in the fuel line. I had a Jeep a long time back, Idled fine, but crapped out at speed. Turned out to be a bad seal at the fitting between the gas tank, and fuel line. It didn't leak, but as revs came up it must have sucked air. A new tank tank fixed it.

Intermittent problems are a pain, watch for something in common with the problem. It might give more direction.

Tom

69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speedo
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: