Author Topic: How hard is it?  (Read 4252 times)

ironman24

• View Profile
How hard is it?
« on: August 28, 2007, 02:53:39 PM »
hi all,
  I have been thinking of re-covering the seats in my 67.  The rear seat and passenger seat foam and springs are good, so it will just be new covers for them.  The driver seat foam is shot and the springs are not that great.  So i think i will go with new springs and new foam on that seat.  I have some skills in the shop and where i lack i have friends that can help out.  But we have never redone seats before.  Is this something you would recomend we give a shot or should i just take them to someone and have them done? I dont think i would start this project till late fall or winter but im just trying to plan things now and save up some cash if i do take it to someone to have done.

thanks,
Charlie

sd1968z28

• View Profile
Re: How hard is it?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 03:55:56 PM »
prefit covers are easy install, take your time and use baby powder to help cover slide on.

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 01:02:53 PM »
The hardest part of the job is geting the listing lines hog ringed in place to the springs. Be carefull when you remove the old covers to notice how they were installed. Take notice of where the front edge of the cover is with relation to the front edge of the spring assy. When you start installation, the cover will be inside out so you can get at the reinforcements of the listing lines. The listing lines are the edges of the pleated section of the cover. These have to be secured to the spring or the cover will move around and look crappie. The seatcovers usually don't have metal or plastic rods in the reinforcements like the factory ones do so save them from your old covers or you can use 3/32' welding rod. To make this part of the job easier I use long zip ties around the listing line reinforcements of the cover and around the listing line part of the spring. This way you can snug them down a little at a time but leave them a little loose. This way when you turn the cover right side out and install the plastic lip under the seat frame. then pull the cover toward the back where it hog rings to the frame. With the cover in place you can then pull the zip ties tight and hog ring the listing lines togther.
Changing the foam makes it a little more dificult as the foam is new and thicker than used stuff. You will have to pull a lot harder.
The back of the seat is some what easier as the listing line is a "u" shape, so you can tell where it locates.
With all that said, it isn't that bad of a job, even for a beginer. If you not happy with the results just cut the hog rings remove the cover and start over.
The baby powder trick sounds good, I like to use dry cleaner plastic bags. Put the bag over the form so the cover can slide over it, this will make pulling easier.
Good luck:
Sam

ironman24

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 04:09:57 AM »
Thanks for some good details,  mrdetails.   :)
i think once the cruisin season is over im gona try and tackle the job.  like you said, if i dont like it i can take it off and start over.  Or i can take it off and take it to someone who knows what they are doing!   :D

anything