Author Topic: Rear Lower Shock mount  (Read 4123 times)

ironman24

• View Profile
Rear Lower Shock mount
« on: September 04, 2007, 05:44:25 PM »
Hi guys,
  I have to replace a rear lower shock mount on my car.  I was just wondering what was the best way to go about it.  Should the car be on a lift and the suspension hanging or should i do it on the ground and just unbolt the U-bolts and pull the plate off.  I guess what im trying to get at is.....  if i unbolt the U-bolts to remove the plate will the springs stay in place?  should it be on the ground to have the weight of the car on the springs or should it be in the air to have no weight on the springs  ??? ???

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Lower Shock mount
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 03:14:09 PM »
You can do it on a lift or on the ground - just jack up the body (just forward of the front spring eye) to get the car's weight off the spring on that side and put a jackstand under it, and you can remove/replace the shock mount plate; the axle will just sit on the spring while you're doing it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

ironman24

• View Profile
Re: Rear Lower Shock mount
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 03:24:12 AM »
Thanks, I kinda figured it, but it never hurts to ask.  I just got done with it.  Put new shock mounts on and also put new shocks on.  Cant wait for tomorrow so i can take her for a ride!  ;D Turns out someone that owned it before me had put 2nd Gen. shock mounts on it.  They look to be out of a 70 or maybe some other type of car.....  to make them work on the 67 he flipped the driver side around so he could mount the shock infront of the axle.  But in doing this the mount was lower then the other side.  So the car sat with a lean to the left.  He fixed this by putting Air shocks on it ::).   Well i had enough of them!! so i now have correct  type mounts and new shocks.  :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:25:59 AM by ironman24 »

anything