Author Topic: Repro fender/Repro grille fitment?  (Read 7552 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Repro fender/Repro grille fitment?
« on: August 20, 2007, 10:50:05 PM »
I installed a pair of repro fenders and a repro standard grill on my 69 Camaro.  The problem I have is the top corner radius on the grill at the fender.  The corner of the grill is "rounder" than the corner opening of the fender, which is more "square" thus there is a gap in the top corner on both sides.  Is this normal for the two repro parts?  Is there maybe a better quality of either repro part that I should look into to see if I can get a better fit?  This is not a small gap at all and is almost a quarter inch gap where the corner of the grill does not quite fill in the corner opening of the fender.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Any suggestions for different fenders or grill?

Steve

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: Repro fender/Repro grille fitment?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 03:02:30 AM »
This seems to be quite normal for aftermarket fenders, at least from my experience. I put new Goodmark doors and front fenders on my '68, and none of it lined up. The doors didn't line up with the original quarter panel lines, and the Goodmark fenders and doors didn't line up with their own products! Plus, one fender had been welded wrong at the headlight door eyebrow and the headlight door wouldn't even fit in the fender. Upshot of it is, I had to strongarm the company I got the fenders from to swap out another set of fenders. The 2nd set of fenders fit better, but I still had to pay a professional bodyman $1000 to tweak everything. My 2 cents says get another fender and see how the grille fits it--my money is on the fender being bad. Oh, they'll tell you they NEVER had a complaint about fender fit--yeah right...chuckle. Good luck.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 11:58:08 AM »
That is why good used is the way to go in my opinion. Good West coast sheetmetal is great!

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 08:44:26 PM »
I have seen the website of a Camaro rebody facility in Cleveland Georgia and all they use is repro panels. They do only sheetmetal work and make it sound like repro are the only way to go. (better than repairing original panels) They distribute Dynacorn and Goodmark. Anybody have experience with these guys? From the sounds of things here, repro panels are not the same quality as GM and that original panels are the way to go if at all possible.
Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:17:30 PM »
I have the same grill fit issue with my car... but they are original fenders and a repro grill... I am more inclined to think the grill is the problem.. the grill is more rounded and leaves a gap...
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 03:28:31 AM »
For my 2 cents--like Sam said--NOS or good used is the way to go if you can find it, be it fenders, grille, or anything else. I'm learning the hard way on my '68. Oddly enough, I'm in the stage of
trial-fitting all the glass, weatherstrip and trim before I take it back apart to paint it, and I keep running into problems. The Goodmark header panel holes don't line up with the factory grille attaching holes, some holes on the doors don't line up with the weatherstrip Christmas trees and screws. I used aftermarket seals on the 1/4-windows and had to redrill the holes to attach the chrome pieces to the glass. The aftermarket lower windshield reveal molding doesn't quite match the factory holes....it goes on and on.
   You have to understand, Jimmy, that most websites and even magazines don't have the time nor capacity---or I daresay if they're trying to sell something--the inclination, to reveal the warts as they go. They're professionals who think nothing of elongating a hole or tweaking a tailpan to make it work. It's their job to make it look easy, and it IS for them. To poor schmucks like me who plunk down hard-earned and saved long green for a $300 door, I expect that door to be precise. Sadly, that isn't always the case, as I've learned. My view on aftermarket parts now is try and find NOS or good GM. If I can't, I buy the best repro and HOPE it fits. I'm not knocking the aftermarket--very little NOS stuff is available from GM anymore and the aftermarket provides needed venues, but don't expect GM fit and quality on most of it. It's my opinion that aftermarket advertising turns their imperfect sow's ears into a lot of silk purses for the consumer to buy. My 2 cents for what it's worth after experiencing it firsthand. I'd always heard Goodmark was the best sheetmetal repro company going...I'd hate to see the worst.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 12:57:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply hotrod68. The company in Georgia apparently uses all Goodmark sheet metal ?, and has complete jigs setup to basically build the car from scratch if necessary. They only do the sheet metal/shell. It looks impressive on their website, but it sounds like it must be a major job to fit all the trim and seal pieces later if holes aren't there, in the wrong place, etc. The company doesn't do that part, they return the finished shell to the owner to paint and finish, etc. My 69 has the original sheet metal fenders, quarters, etc., and when and if I ever restore it, I believe I will try to use the original sheet metal and repair where necessary unless I have no other option. I'll need a real body man who can work with/repair the sheet metal, not just cut and replace panels. So many of them want to just replace fenders, quarters, etc. with repro.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.