Author Topic: Break Pedal is sloppy..  (Read 6641 times)

ironman24

• View Profile
Break Pedal is sloppy..
« on: August 17, 2007, 02:37:45 PM »
Hi all,
   I have a few questions about my break pedal in my 67.  I have power drum breaks.  The breaks work fine, but the pedal is a little sloppy.  But its not when you push the pedal in,  its sloppy left to right.  you can actually move the pedal about 1 inch back and forth to the left and right. 
   Im a big guy and i tried to get up under the dash to see if there is a bolt or anything that i can tighten or replace but i have trouble getting under the dash to see up there.  Any idea's of what the problem is?  Also as i was under there i saw a Black square box with a plunger type thing on it.  this plunch is up against the shaft of the pedal.  So when the pedal is pressed in the plunger releases.  What would this be for?

thanks,
Charlie

camaromikey

• View Profile
Re: Break Pedal is sloppy..
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 04:21:23 PM »
the plunger is most likely the brake light switch. It sounds like it needs a new bushing.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 06:19:43 PM »
The tube at the top of the brake pedal has plastic bushings in it where it pivots on the clutch pedal shaft (which also has the same plastic bushings where it passes through both sides of the pedal support); if those bushings are worn (and most are), the pedal will have the lateral slop you noted. You'll need to remove the steering column and the pedal support assembly in order to change/lube the bushings. Change all four, not just the two on the brake pedal - they're cheap. See your assembly manual, Section 5, sheet A3. Photo below is a Corvette, but the assembly is similar.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

ironman24

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 02:09:23 AM »
I Dont have a clutch.  Car is an auto.  well at least now it is. It could have started life out as a stick.  As for an Assembly manual.......i dont have one yet.  I have some books on order, hopefully they will be in this week. 
I assume an automatic break pedal would have this or some type of bushing too, correct?

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 10:56:23 PM »
I assume an automatic break pedal would have this or some type of bushing too, correct?

Correct.  There are two of them on an automatic brake pedal.  Don't forget the grease if you're doing it yourself.   :)

Paul 

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 11:01:22 PM »

Yes - automatics have a long/large pin that goes through the pedal support that the brake pedal pivots on instead of the shaft that's part of the clutch pedal on a manual. When you get your Assembly Manual, you'll find it in Section M35, Sheet A13.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

ironman24

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 12:22:53 AM »
Thanks guys!