Author Topic: rear seat belts  (Read 10280 times)

420GOAT

• View Profile
rear seat belts
« on: August 10, 2007, 04:30:43 AM »
what solutions are out there....my kids are at the age that one is in a booster and one's between a car seat and booster....i have access to airplane style seat belts..... and want to make a hole on the inside quarter panel(body)and install a three point belt. where should i make the hole at? remember, my kids are short and i want to make the holes accordingly...i dont care about hacking this car since it is not a resto......thank you. ;)
I AM AT MY DESK MINUTES AWAY FROM THE BEACH, SAND, AND 420!!!

420GOAT

• View Profile
Re: rear seat belts
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 11:17:10 PM »
was it the hacking comment.....that makes people not want to respond........really has anyone ever done this mod???

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 12:51:29 PM »
Nope.  My daughter bought a car seat designed to handle that for our grandchild.  The 68 seat belt worked.  Sorry, don't remember the brand.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 01:44:43 PM »
As Lakeholme said, lap belts work for most car seats. Booster seats I believe use the existing belts. I have not seen rear shoulder harness in a first gen, but it looks like it was an option in 68 and 69.
 http://www.camaros.org/options.shtml#SeatBeltOptions
I would consider using the factory mounting points before any other options. When I get my 69 back together, I would be inclined to add a rear harness as well, so keep us posted.

Good luck

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

420GOAT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 03:53:06 PM »
thanks guys .....boosters require a shoulder harness.....factory points will be too high and choke my kids. I want to put the shoulder point on the quarter......ive done the same sort of thing on my split bus i previously owned....essentially  large washers sandwiching the panel to spread the force when pulled. im gonna need to see if the steel is strong enough or the welds can handle it.....i'll keep you posted.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 11:29:37 AM »
They used to sell seats that had the harness built into the kid seat,  Then you can just use the lap belt.  I think the factory rear sholder belts mounted to the trunk support (looong belt) :)

ccmblack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 07:08:31 AM »
My daughter in in a booster.  I bounght a belt and bolted it through the trunk divider, (I have a vert and did not want to ever risk an ejection).  I drilled the hole, and sandwiched it wilt two very large and thick washers.  It works fine - although I have never had to test it.  They do make a car seat designed to utilize only a lap belt.  The car seat has shoulder harnesses for both shoulders.  It is designed for very large children - up to 100 lbs.  I bought one at the local baby store for $100...about the same for a deluxe belt.  The only problem is that they are so large, (the seat).  So big my daughter had to be in the middle of the back seat...otherwise her feet were pinched between the front seat and her car seat.

The shoulder harness I have now comes perfectly over her shoulder...she is about 42". 

One word of caution...your child will grow.  So where ever you drill today to mount a belt will not fit your child in  6mos to a year.  nothing worse than drilling a hole every 6 months....