Author Topic: The PatriotDream.org 68 Camaro project  (Read 105775 times)

4birdman

• View Profile
Re: The PatriotDream.org 68 Camaro project
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2008, 01:58:02 AM »
New clutch is here! SPEC traded out our T56 they donated for a new Stage 2 clutch and billet steel flywheel.

Doug Thorley also hooked us up with a set of longtube headers, we'll post pics as soon as they get here!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »
More goodies! Got some main, rod, and head bolts and some 3/8" studs that ARP donated to the project!

Also got in some stainless 2.02/1.60 valves that Engine Parts Network donated to the project!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2008, 11:49:31 PM »
And more goodies!

Got a 4-spd bellhousing and fork that Hogshead Firebird and Trans Am Parts donated!

Also got a set of 1.6 roller rockers that Harland Sharp donated!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2008, 02:45:08 AM »
And more!

Got a new oil pan thanks to 1badchevelle on the pro-touring.com board!

And a full exhaust system donated by Flowmaster!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2008, 12:48:06 AM »
And we officially have everything we need for the engine! We hope to have it done in the next few weeks. The transmission is done and ready, now once the engine is here we'll be set to go!

Today we got a set of forged .03 327 pistons that Federal-Mogul/Speed-Pro donated to the project!

Now all we need is to find someone to do the final metalwork and fabrication on the car. Install the rear trunk floor, finish smoothing the firewall, repair the window channel, and weld everything snug and tight and get it ready for bodywork and paint. A local friend of mine is going to do the paint and body, but he doesn't do fabrication. He said if someone can finish the final fabrication, he can get the car in paint and do a bunch of cool stuff to the car. He does amazing work, so I'm very excited about having him take care of the car!

If we can find someone to do the metalwork, this thing will be done by Christmas!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2008, 12:26:07 AM »

Many thanks to rlyfst1 on the camaros.net board for donating a carb, and then calling Edelbrock to convince them to donate an intake and rebuild and respec the carb!

We've now got an Edelbrock carb and RPM Air Gap intake thanks to Lane (and Edelbrock, too!)

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2008, 03:37:04 AM »
MSD really took care of us with the new engine setup. They donated a Pro-Billet distributor, a Blaster coil, a set of Superconductor plug wires, and a Digital-6 Plus ignition box!

We also found out that the hood hinges we had for the car were for some totally different car and didn't fit the fenders. Mark68 on the pro-touring.com board heard about it and sent us some hinges for the car! Thanks, Mark!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2008, 11:01:26 PM »
More goodies! Doug Thorley headers donated a set of ceramic coated low clearance headers.

And I also bought a set of brand new front fenders and extension from a guy on Craigslist. Very good guy to deal with and we're talking now about getting him to do the metal work on the car so we can get that finished up. I'm still looking for someone to either donate the metal work or maybe trade for some truck bed liners, interior liners, or even a few garage/shop floors from my business, but right now it looks like he is the front runner if I can't get some other deal worked out on a trade or donation.

So for the first time ever, here is a pic of the car with sheetmetal on it! All I need is a trunk lid and I've got all the sheetmetal I need.

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2008, 09:06:44 PM »
Did a little bit of work this afternoon. In my quest to make this the quietest car possible, I am spraying the inner fenders with Scorpion. Since you can increase the sound insulation qualities with some rubber crumb, I threw some rubber bits in it for the wheel side. I want to keep a smoother look for the part in the engine bay, but I figured it would have a rough texture in the underside where you won't really see it. That way it'll help quiet down any road noise that might come out of that area. Once I get the stuff that Second Skin donated on the interior, and have the entire undercarriage, firewall, and wheelwells sprayed with a combination of Scorpion and Al's Liner, this thing is going top be completely rust proof and super quiet!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2008, 12:05:15 AM »
Got some more good stuff. Hurst donated a shifter and install kit for the Super T-10! :)

Now I'm off to watch my Phils win the World Series!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2009, 02:07:36 AM »
Sorry for the long delay, guys! I'll have some more pictures soon.

I gave Shawn the car for Christmas and he LOVED it. He can't stop talking about it and is unbelievably thankful to everyone who helped out.

He immediately made some phone calls and found someone to do the metalwork on the car, and last Saturday we took it over and dropped it off to get the work done.

The engine should be done by the end of the month and the body should be done shortly thereafter. Then the paint comes and the car starts assembly!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2009, 01:37:19 AM »
Sorry for the long delay, guys. Work has been a bit slow on it, but it is coming along. The guy doing the metal work had some other work he had to get out, but he's been working on the Camaro as he has time to. He's finished up a ton of it. The trunk floor is fabbed and installed, the rear has been minitubbed 3", the rear seat area has been all fixed up, and he's now getting into finishing up the final welds, cleaning up some of the welds, filling in some seams, fixing a bunch of the gaps and things on the car, and basically getting it ready for me to start getting it ready for paint once it gets back to my shop.

Here are the pics!

And a picture I forgot to share with you from when I gave the car to Shawn

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2009, 01:43:26 AM »
Sorry for the long delay guys, took a long time to get it back from metal work.

Shawn and I ground down the entire interior and trunk and got it in primer. We worked a little on the underside, but need to do a bunch more and spray some primer on it.

Kirker Automotive donated all the primers, clears, and Viper Red paint for the car.

Hopefully we can find someone to do the body work and paint for us, that's the last thing we need before we start assembling it! We're going to continue to try and do the body ourselves in case we can't find anyone, butwe could get it done a lot faster if we found someone.

Pics of it primed and on the AutoTwirler rotisserie!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
And for anyone interested, we have uploaded a list of parts needs we have and links to our sponsors' webpages.

http://www.patriotdream.org/needs.htm

If anyone is interested in helping, please email us at: donate@patriotdream.org

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2009, 03:27:42 AM »
Another quick update! A guy on the FBN board has donated all the body and paint work! We're going to take the car down to him in the next few weeks. He's going to do all the finish welding, clean up all the body, straighten it, and spray primer and paint. It'll be ready for assembly when it gets back!

The end is in sight!

anything