Author Topic: The PatriotDream.org 68 Camaro project  (Read 105817 times)

4birdman

• View Profile
Re: The PatriotDream.org 68 Camaro project
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2007, 04:09:29 PM »
We received a donation from POR-15 of their rust-proofing paint system! We had hoped to get the front subframe stripped and painted this weekend, but I've got a wicked cold and am pretty much stuck inside. :( I was hoping to really get ahead on the car this weekend, but other than yanking the spindles to send to Ed Miller to be modified for the LS1 brakes, I haven't gotten crap done.

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2007, 11:48:15 PM »
Well, I felt a little better this afternoon and I got a ton of work done. I had to split my time between the Camaro and a huge powdercoating job for a friend's machine shop, so I wasn't as productive as I could have been, but gotta keep the side business going!

Anyway, I got the firewall modified to fit the LS1 booster and MC. First I took the booster and cut out a template for the hole. Then I traced it off on the firewall and went to town with the cutting tool. Fits like a glove! I still need to weld in the section where the old hole used to be and modify the booster shaft to fit the existing brake pedal, but so far so good!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 04:16:37 AM »
OK, finally was able to get some real work done on the car! I got the pedals all fitted for the Modo Innovations covers, then I took everything down to HRT Performance to be tanked and blasted. Tonight I powdercoated it all semi-gloss black and reinstalled the Modo covers. Came out amazing. I also cleaned and painted the parking brake assembly. I ordered all new pedal bushings and pins and all from Firewheel, so those should be in tomorrow or the next day, then I can get the pedals all ready to go back in the car once I finish up the LS1 booster and T56 Master cylinder modifications to the firewall and get the seat supports welded in this weekend.
Before:

During:

After:

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2007, 02:58:02 AM »
Got the LS1 booster conversion all finished up. I measured and cut the stock brake rod and welded it on to the LS1 booster shaft. The I welded in some metal and cut it to match the hole in the firewall.

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2007, 03:21:18 AM »
Big thanks to bulldog19 on the Lateral-g board for hooking us up with these very nice inner fenders and some RS headlight hardware!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 01:41:03 AM »
Got a lot of goodies in the last few days! Autometer sent us some SWEET new Ultra-Lite II gauges, along with some schwag. 

And Second Skin donated a TON of stuff. Damplifier, blankets, sprayer, knife, Spectrum, adhesive, etc. Basically, everything to keep this car quiet inside!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2007, 01:59:38 AM »
We also got the subframe out outside on the rotisserie before we realized our compressor was acting up and we'll have to call a mobile blaster. We also didn't get much work done on the floors and chassis because our BRAND NEW Hobart 140 welder decided that it didn't feel like feeding wire anymore. Gotta go exchange it tomorrow, but it really ruined my progress on Saturday.

But, besides all the problems, I did manage to get the a-arms powdercoated in a semi-gloss black. I'll run them down to have the Prothane bushings pressed in this week.

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2007, 02:47:00 AM »
The Gear Box sent us this T56 rebuild kit and steel 3-4 shift fork for the T56 we're putting in the car. Jerminator off of the camaroz28.com board donated a T56 and the rebuild, so major thanks to him! We still need an LS1 4th gear/input shaft, 6th gear, and an LS1 front plate, so if anyone has anything lying around they might be able to help us out with, please let me know!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2007, 04:37:19 AM »
Got some good stuff in this week! I got in the Hotchkis 2" front drop springs I bought off of brownz on the pro-touring board, and the VBP 2" drop leafs I bought off of 68sixspeed on the pro-touring board. Many thanks to them for hooking me up!

Also got in the Covan's dash panel that Queen City Speed donated to the project. Major thanks to them for taking care of us there!

And finally, we got everything we need to get the rear frame and suspension fabricated! But, our brand new Hobart welder crapped out after about 30 minutes of use. Yeah, it is covered under warranty, but I won't have it back till the end of next week. So I'll be able to fab everything up next weekend, but this week all I'll be able to do is mock it all up. At least we can do something, though.

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2007, 04:29:06 AM »
Been doing a bunch of work over the weekend. Got the front subframe all sandblasted, Marine Clean'd, and Metal Ready'd. Tomorrow night I hope to get the POR-15 on it.

Also worked on fitting up the rear suspension. Here's a shot with the center and rear frame sections sitting on the leaf spring. I hope to have this all installed this weekend when I get my welder back from the shop.

And we also got these sweet seatbelts donated by Morris Classic Concepts. They are a 3-pt replacement for the factory lap belts. Now Shawn will be safe when he's crusing around town.

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2007, 02:34:39 AM »
Got a lot done tonight! My wife and I painted the first coat of POR-15 on the front subframe! Tomorrow night we'll do the second coat and then it'll be ready to install the suspension this weekend, and then back on it's wheels when I get the spindles back from being modified for the LS1 brakes by Ed Miller!

I also fabbed up a bracket and mounted the Wilwood adjustable prop. valve. I was going to bend the brake lines tonight, but they sold me the wrong fittings at the store, so I gotta go back tomorrow and get the right ones.

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2007, 05:02:46 AM »
Big day today! I had the day off of work, so my brothers came over and we knocked out a lot on the car. I finally got my welder back from the shop and got the seat support all welded in. We also got the final coat of POR-15 on and a topcoat of Rustoleum semigloss black and then installed it on the car with the new Prothane bushings. Also had to run around town trying to find the right fittings for the LS1 brake booster before I realized I had a spare ABS module in the attic and could get the fittings off of it. I also started working on the subframe connectors and rear frame, I hope to have it all tacked in and mocked up this weekend. I told myself I'd have it rolling by the first of the year, and that could be a real possibility!

We also got a set of Bilstein shocks for the car donated by G-Machine!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2007, 03:43:13 AM »
Bilsteins donated by G-Machine!

I also got some of the rear chassis worked out. I used the Competition Engineering SFCs with the built-in spring pockets. I measured it all out and notched the drop crossmember 1/2" to recess them in there to make them fit tight. Should be really strong with them set into the crossmember and welded to the floorboard. Don't mind my ugly tack welds.

I also fit the LS1 brake lines to the 1st gen brackets. I just painted them for now, but I'll powdercoat them later. It was pouring rain out and I didn't feel like having a powder cloud floating in the shop while I worked. I also used some stainless bolts on it.

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2008, 02:21:58 AM »
Ran into a major snag tonight. With the suspension and chassis setup the way we were installing it, there is no way we're gonna fit a stock gas tank in there. If anyone has any advice or can hook me up with anything, please let me know! For right now, we're just going to install it as far apart to get as big of an aftermarket tank in there as we can. He'll still be able to fit some big meats under there if Shawn ever wants to.

We did get in some goodies, though! Goodmark donated some inner wheelhouses, a radiator support, and a driver's door shell!

I also bent up a brake line for the front subframe. I need to get a junction block for the driver's side, but I got the crossover done. I used insulated line clamps and stainless bolts to fasten it down.

And last but not least, I got the rear leafs painted and installed the Prothane bushings!

4birdman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2008, 02:00:25 AM »
I wish I had more progress to post, but a lot of the things I've been doing have been things not worthy of pictures! I powdercoated up the rearend parts, worked on the axle I'm using for mockup cutting off the spring perches to shorted the spring width on them, and just some other small stuff.

I had it all set up so I could install the rear frame, suspension, and axle and have the back rolling this weekend. Of course, my brand new Hobart welder broke AGAIN and I am not sure if I'll have a welder for this weekend. Needless to say, I am PISSED!

Anyway, if I get lucky I'll have a welder for this weekend and then all my front suspension and steering parts will be here by next week and then I'll be rolling by  next weekend.

Powdercoated spring hangers, spring plates, and a-arm washers:

I finished up the other taillight, too.

And I even had some help from Shawn's wife on Sunday. I taught her how to powdercoat and let her try it out on the dash bezel that was looking rough. She did a great job.