Author Topic: Help with vinyl top code?  (Read 7135 times)

snowballfisher

• View Profile
Help with vinyl top code?
« on: August 07, 2007, 03:45:43 AM »
This is my cowl tag.  I was trying to figure out the original vinyl top color which should be 2- for black, but mine is -0 for ???  I got the 0 for the Corvette Bronze body color, but what does this other 0 stand for?  Anyone?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Help with vinyl top code?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 03:51:30 AM »
The second O means your top was also Corvette Bronze.  So according to your tag the car did not have a vinyl top from the factory.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

snowballfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 03:56:18 AM »
Hmmm... didn't think about that being an option, 2nd owner of car, had it since '69, and always had a black vinyl top.  This thing sure looks factory to me, might be worth researching I guess.  Thanks.  Any more advice from anyone?  Possible late change at factory?  Mistake made on the line?

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 04:05:48 AM »

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 05:02:04 AM »
Nope, it came without a top from the factory....
Kurt S
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 01:05:44 PM »
Yes, originality is important...

But lots of cars in the late 60s and early 70s got vinyl tops before they left the dealer or within a few months of purchase.  Many dealerships were glad to do it, because it was popular and profitable.  There were even independent shops that advertised as "top shops".

Have you seen this thread?
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=487.0
1 out of 4 said yes to vinyl, even if not original...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 12:34:56 AM »
I have a 1969 Z/28 (Norwood) with a vinyl top. My non X code trim tag says 57-57. When we went to repaint the car we noticed that the trim around the vinyl top was held on by the spot welded studs from the factory. The fellow painting my car worked at Wolfington Chevrolet (Roxborough, Pa) from 1967 to 1971. He said he installed many vinyl tops at the dealership and NEVER spot welded the studs onto the roof. So was it missed on the trim tag or did some dealership spot weld the  trim studs with a stud gun when the original vinyl top was added at a previous dealership?  The roof to the car is original. ???

snowballfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 07:56:38 PM »
Wow, thanks everyone.  I guess this must have been a dealer installed top.  That just blows me away.  I wonder how most 1st. gen. camaro enthusiasts would feel about this being considered original?  It has had it since it was new, but not from the factory... hmmm.  I do appreciate the feedback.  This is very interesting to discover.

Z71

• View Profile
    • Amsoil Jobber
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 10:00:43 PM »
From 1971 to 1973 I worked part time for a used car dealer. Mostly I went to the auctions and to the dealers with the buyer and we bought cars to sell.   Many times we had vinyl tops put on cars and also body side moldings.  What ever the boss thought would help sell the car. 

ps - one of things this dealer would do it roll back the odometers.  I seen cars with 99,000 miles go to 29,000 over night.  Lots of them were Chevelle's and Camaro's as they were popular cars to sell.  We often got 5 cars and when one sold it paid for all 5.  Seen that many a time, lots of money to be made in the used car business back then, no laws to stop you from doing a lot of things.  We would hit the big car dealers in the Chicago and but 10 cars at a time for next to nothing. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:05:37 PM by Z71 »
Mike
Owned new (and still have stashed away) LOL
1966 Impala SS396
1970 Chevelle SS454
1972 El Camino SS350
1973 Chevelle SS350
2002 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air