Author Topic: vinyl top  (Read 9929 times)

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
vinyl top
« on: August 05, 2007, 09:22:04 PM »
I am thinking about replacing my vinyl top on my 67 Camaro. The problem is my top does not look like it is white, it looks more of an off white compared to the striped on my car. I know the stripes are not original to the car, could not get z-28 stripes on a 67 SS. But what about the top? Were there actually two different white tops available with one being a off white in 67 and 68. Or is my top from some year other than the first generation? Or,,,,,,, is it because my car is Plum that the top looks more off white than white or does age really change the color on these tops that much?

Thanks

Dave

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: vinyl top
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 11:04:43 PM »
Hey Dave, I thought the 67 "white" vinyl top was more of a beige color...   ???
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 11:15:48 PM »
Hi Phillip:

I thought it was also. Something called Fawn Beige I think. But if it is, does anyone make it anymore? All I've seen is white.

Dave

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 08:57:03 PM »
I checked some catalogues and made a couple of calls here in my part of the world...  Looks like fawn is gone and white it is...  so much for originality.  Of course, with your Z stripes...

I also went back and pulled up the picture of your car.  Contrast doesn't seem that bad from the picture.  Is it?

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 10:17:23 PM »
PhilliP:

The contrast is enough to tell that there is a difference. With the white stripes I was thinking a white top would be way to much, but not sure. Some people have even offered to "clean up" the top for me because they think it is dirty, but when they finally get a close look at it they realize it is a different color than the stripes. It appears that my search for a correct coded top is going to go the way of my search for a flywheel cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Dave

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 11:18:07 PM »
I may have a company on the west coast that can make a vinyl top in the correct color Fawn Beige for my 67 :)
They are sending me a "sample" of the color they have. Once I get this sample I'll let you know how it matches up. When I mentioned the color to them they knew right away what I was talking about. I talked a bit with them on the phone, they purchased rolls and rolls of different colored vinyl from the manufacturers that produced tops for the Auto industry. I'm hoping to have the sample by no later than Tuesday of next week. I'll keep you posted and if it does match I'll post their name and website for those who maybe interested in doing the same thing.

Dave

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 12:41:01 AM »
I received the sample of the Vinyl today. The company name is SMS Auto Fabrics in Canby, Oregon.
website is www.smsautofabrics.com.The sample that they sent Fawn Beige has the correct texture but is much darker than what I have on my 67 Camaro probably darker by 3-4 shades. I contacted them and told them this, they suggested I take a picture of what I have on my car and send it to them via e-mail, they will then take this picture and sent me a sample of what they determine it to be. Maybe my vinyl is so faded that this was what it looked like new. I don't think so but you never know. Anyways I am going to take some pictures and send them off to them. Very nice people willing to go the extra mile to satisfy a inquiring.
I'll let you know what transpires over the next week or so. Now I am really interested in finding out what I have on my car!!!!!!!!

Dave

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 01:17:03 AM »
Dave,

Great!  But if it is darker, then you still have the contrast with your stripes.  Do they have a color chart or do you have to always request a sample like you did?  I didn't find one when I tried their link.  http://www.smsautofabrics.com/

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 02:38:07 AM »
If you want a good match, it might be best to send them a sample from your top, or find something that matches what you have. Computer displays are not all created equal. Colors could be significantly different. At a minimum I would include the sample they sent you in the photo to give them a reference point.

Good luck,

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 12:25:52 AM »
I sent an e-mail with pictures. One showing a close up of the top, which looks white!!! and one showing the back lower edge near the rear window and the white stripes running down the trunk. You can tell the difference in this picture. It wasn't 15 minutes after I sent the pictures, I get a call from SMS!!!!!!!! The man stated the sample they sent came directly from the color code used by GM in 67. He definetly stated the top on my car which is not white is not the original top. He believes he has a couple colors that will match up pretty close to what I have. He will send them to me. I am really impressed with the service they have presented, very professional.They are making every effort to try and find something close to what I have. But now here is the real kicker, my wife really likes the color they sent! ::) The color is indeed a real contrast to what is on the car. My Cowl tag shows M-1 but I think with the the stripes on the car which everyone knows are not correct for a 67 would really be a contrast I feel. Just have to wait and see what they send. If I can I will take a picture of the top and the sample together and post it so you all can see what I am referring to. One way or another, I believe SMSAUTOFRABICS is a class company for what they are doing!

Dave

upscope757

• Almost there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 06:26:16 PM »
It looks like I am heading down this same path with SMS.  The sent me the swatch and it was just plain beige.  I put it up against a strip of original paint that I still have on the interior of the rocker panels to aid in color matching down the road and it does look good.

Can you pass me the picture of your beige vinyl top?  They too, assured me via paperwork that it is correct, but it came in darker than I expected.  The original top had already been torn off when I got the car.  Small chips still remained around the corners and they were definitely light by half than this swatch.  I suppose it could be due to sun.

The car did have the black bb stripe.  The top almost matches the body color which is an interesting effect that I wasn't expecting.

Thanks,
Matt: 1967 RS/SS - L48/Powerglide - Sierra Fawn/Beige Vinyl Top, Charleston, SC

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
They check the top box on everything they send which indicates "we have the exact match". I finally had to call them & ask them, if you have the exact match, why didn't you send it? They sent me swatches picked by the blind...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

upscope757

• Almost there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 01:36:43 PM »
Reading back up the chain here I thought I saw 'M-1' on a cowl tag as it applies to a '67?  I thought I had read elsewhere that 1, 2 referred to convertible tops (black or white) and 5,6 referred to vinyl tops (black or beige).  Thoughts? Did I miss something?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 05:10:57 PM »
Look at the convertible and vinyl top charts here:
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#ExteriorColors

upscope757

• Almost there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 07:47:44 PM »
That's what I thought, 1 or 2 for upper referred to convertibles.  On the above part of the thread, I thought I read were an "M-1" was being referred to as a Marina Blue Car with a White Vinyl top for '67.  I didn't think white vinyl was available in '67 and that an 'M-1' would in fact represent a Marine Blue/White Convertible Top.

anything