Author Topic: Driver's side door stuck shut..  (Read 14705 times)

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
Driver's side door stuck shut..
« on: December 30, 2005, 08:39:20 PM »
Anyone figure out how to open a stuck driver's side door?  The thumb button to open the door from the outside is also stuck in the "open" position, but the door won't open.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks -

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Re: Driver's side door stuck shut..
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 03:48:37 PM »
   Climb into the passenger side, drive the car to your nearest fire department and ask them if they would use the "JAWS" to pop open your door. I have done this numberous times and it has always worked for me. Your car may look like crap after it's done, but normally the ones I have done look like crap before I start. 
  All joking aside, it sounds as though your outside door handle has come apart on the inside. You will need to remove the inside door panel to access it. This will be difficult with the door closed, so you might want to have a locksmith open it for you, or use a "Slim Jim tool" to get the door open.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy new year.
Fireman John
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 06:30:21 PM »
Before you try the "jaws" or taking the door apart, spray some silicone lubricant every where you can to get it on the lock, including down the window well.  Then work the latch every way you can --several times, rapidly.  My 68 does this from time to time.  It may not be coming apart.  It may just be stuck!   ::)
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 01:07:25 AM »
FYI... There is a Nov. 7 posting that discusses the same problem... and gives more suggestions.  Good Luck! ;D
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

snowballfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 02:59:16 PM »
I had to fix a '68 that did this.  I ended up pulling the door panel off from inside(not fun but it can be done.)  Then I just found the lock mechanism and freed everything up.  But I discovered that I had to get kind of rough with it before it would unjamb.  Fortunately it did it to me again and luckily I had left the door panel off.  I found a little secret that worked to get it open this time that may save you from pulling the door panel.  I grasped the door lock knob on the interior and jerked it up and down vigorously about 30 times and it actually unlocked.  Then after that you should be able to open the door from the inside.  Now my exterior button was not stuck so this may not work on yours but I think it will.  We also tried a good slimjim and a guy who knew how to use it and he had no luck because it sticks locked very hard.  Oh and not to spoil your fun, but to replace this lock/striker/latch mechanism, it's $100 from any catalog I've looked at.

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 10:33:34 PM »
I got it unstuck - had to pull the interior anyway, so when I pulled the driver side door panel I jimmy'd the lock mechanism inside the door and it came open.  Looks like it's busted so will need to pick up new one.

thanks to all who responded.

'68 RS -

anything